My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a call from my dealer last fall saying he had a surprise gift for me, I stopped in that week and was given this walk behind edger, we laughed at the time as it's so old and Deere no longer sells them, I honestly didn't have high hopes but when I used it for the first time this spring i was shocked.

After doing some research I think the model is an E35 as there is nothing on it, man does it work excellent and you can even angle the head. This is more of a keep sake than a piece of equipment I would put on a site, sure wish I could find a new one.

I was cleaning out one of my storage sheds this afternoon and thought I should see if it still starts, second pull, played around a bit then thought I would take a couple of pictures.

If you are in need of an edger that gives excellent results and you can find one on Ebay or a buy and sell, grab it.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
After doing some research I think the model is an E35 as there is nothing on it
I believe that your edger is a model 3 or 3K, which is a rebadged McLane Edger with a Briggs&Statton engine.

I have an E35, and it is a different model. The E35 has a curbhopping wheel, and Kawasaki 3.1 hp engine with remote air filtration.

For reference, a few pics of the E-35 are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe that your edger is a model 3 or 3K, which is a rebadged McLane Edger with a Briggs&Statton engine.

Thinking about this a little more, I bet yours is a No. 3 edger. If this is like some other Deere notations, the Model 3 line may have come with either a Briggs engine, or a Kawasaki engine. The Model 3 likely had the Briggs, and the 3K may have denoted the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Let me revive this thread.... Just picked up mine for $100 bucks ... Couldn't pass up this interesting JD item

Can't wait to try it... Starts on the first pull..:thThumbsU

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
One more..

Attachments

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Very cool!

Other manufacturers of these were "Power Trim" and "King-O-Lawn." Some even have Honda engines. All models sure seem to do a great job, and if you like a nice edge that doesn't go bad in a few days, these little gems are the only way to fly. Around here, the oldies are $20-$30 all day long at the swap meet and maybe double that on CL. No resale value at all, even for the brand new models by Power Trim, McClane, Craftsman, and Yard Machines.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
well, was going to buy one anyway... figured I could buy a new one or get this... im sure this guy will last another 30 years !!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Let me revive this thread.... Just picked up mine for $100 bucks ... Couldn't pass up this interesting JD item

Can't wait to try it... Starts on the first pull..:thThumbsU

Joe
Joe,

What are the engine model, type and code numbers on this? First one should be 80202, then type 0855-XX (if points/condenser ignition) or either 1676-XX or 1765-XX (if MAGNETRON ignition), and then date code should read 820731XX or earlier if points/condenser, or 820801XX or later if MAGNETRON.

Thank you,

Ben

·
16,525 Posts
Nice finds!!

Makes you stop/wonder how many of those are sitting in someone's shed or even basements now--as yards get smaller and folks get lawn companies to do a lot now...

glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same one - but doesn't spark. I've replaced the oil, gas, spark plug, air filter etc but its not sparking. Next is the coil - given the age, do you have a recommendation on a replacement? Model 80202 Type 093301 Code 81040703

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just picked a model 3 today. I have never used an edger before. Any tips or tricks on operation would be great to add to this thread.
-Eli

·
Registered
581 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts