My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
I see that they've pretty much removed the local dealer requirement from the process and the dealer tie in. Sort of amazed that they would do that, that I'm sure was a great help to the local dealers.

·
Premium Member
9,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That page is more or less a portal. To the left of the changing John Deere ads is the choice of the 2 catalogs, top one is the new catalog, and below that is the choice for the old catalog. Please note: They give notice "available for a limited time only" above that button for the old catalog. Then below the every changing ads are searches for the model number of the equipment and below that is the part number search. They take you into the relevant new catalog areas.

·
Premium Member
9,538 Posts

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B&W is so 50's & 60's, so lets give some color (it is 2018 for heaven's sake) to keep people using it also we don't need to keep it all so it will be easier to maintain. . . :chainsaw::chainsaw::tango_face_devil:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I played around on the new site for a bit. I'm not a fan. Not sure if it's me or the site but I couldn't find much of what I was trying to find. The old site was easy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
NOT a fan, AT ALL!!!

Recently, I was looking for the 'socket outlet' (M166830) for my x748.
(For those of you that own an x748 [maybe the whole x700 'Ultimate' series?] this is the 12v socket that sits in the 'trunk' on the right fender.)
After a few minutes of searching on the current parts catalog, I gave up!
The thing sits in the fender and, one would think, it should be listed under the '80 - Wheels, Frame, and Operator's Station' section of the catalog, or maybe, under the '40 - Electrical' section.

It's not. It's listed under the 'Instrument Cluster', which is a subsection of the electrical section...and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the instrument cluster!
After I gave up searching for it, I contacted my source at my favorite dealership.
SHE found it, after a lengthy search...Which is why I still do business with them!

I've watched their parts site change, over the last 5 +/- years, and it's not been for the better, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
I've been using the updated site for awhile... I changed when I bought the 4066R becuase it was a good time to do it. Hated it at first but now that I have the hang of it the search function is much more helpful. The diagrams are not intuitive but if you search for a part you can find it really quickly.

Just my thoughts. Change is never fun but a more functional site is helpful.

·
OWL82k
168 Posts
Old one is much better, Maybe I'll just have dealer look up my parts instead of me doing it, ordering online and then getting a call when part arrives at dealer. Maybe the improvement is keeping my frendly parts guy employed and raising the parts cost to cover that. What I think they already raised the cost of parts, I'm feeling lost figuring out how this newer is better? Lets keep the old one. It works, is fast and I like it better!

·
Super Moderator
8,179 Posts
The only thing I miss, and maybe its on the new one I just havent found it yet, is the "where used" search.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Nick you can use the parts advisor as Russ suggested to find where used. See examples

Attachments

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Looking it up myself and ordering
Gives us the discount
Otherwise...……….Full price
Oh Well

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nick you can use the parts advisor as Russ suggested to find where used. See examples
Smalljob, looks like you figured out how to do the "Where used portion" that was on the old catalog. Great example for us. Thank you for sharing!! :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Registered
963 Posts
Local dealer Sask Canada told me to register at a new portal, completely different look??????

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pipsqueek I believe that is the local dealer portal and not the main JD site portal. The give away is the dealer logo top left

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
When I worked in the parts dept a few years ago they started to use and update Parts Manager Pro. I was the first one to start using it on a daily basis and only heard grumbling from the rest of the guys about how bad it was. Now they are changing our parts guides (still so much better than most competitors but still can't look up by serial # like you can with GM. Shame on PM Pro / JD) and now the grumbling starts from the other side of the counter. I don't especially care for the new on line system and am slowly getting a little more comfy with it. The new young generation that designs this stuff and the fact that it is built, sold and maintained by Snap-On (yes the tool guys) will help bring some understanding why they need to keep the share holders pockets full.
I remember starting out in the car industry and working in the import trade there were people griping and stating that these things were never gonna be as good as Chev / Ford / Dodge and couldn't accept that change either.
We just need to remember most computer software is like the light bulb. Most people couldn't see the use, everybody has a different idea as to how it should work, the people who use them have no idea what it takes to make one, find it easier to accept the poor (insert your own description here ie: customer service / quality / ...........) and lastly if it is designed by someone who walks around with a smart watch attached to their wrist it is not likely going to work very well for most of us who don't.
Just my ramble on this but thanks for listening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts