My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a John Deere starter assist kit and installed it last night. Very simple to install and works like a charm, but pricey. $32 with tax at my local dealer. So I looked around for a replacement relay and socket and came up with this company. AEI components.

http://www.aeicomp.com/relays.asp?CATEGORY=Relays

I called and talked to a rep and told him what I was trying to do and he recommended their 5084 waterproof relay with the ABRS14E socket. Total for both pieces is about $4 plus shipping. Then I would just need to buy the connectors and a mounting bolt. My feeling would be that I could make 4 or 5 of these for the price of one at the dealer. AEI has a minimum order of $25, or 7 sets of relays/sockets in this case.

Is anyone here in need of starter assist and wants to try to make and install their own. I don't need 7 of them. :)

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Just go to any auto parts store and pick one up for about $5.00.:thThumbsU

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Go over to Backyard Roundtable Forum within MTF where Brad has a sticky postes with all the information about starter relays, a very good article and the items he list is around $5.00 and he even post a how-to-picture.

Dick

·
Administrator
21,336 Posts
I like the idea of a socket to place the relay in, too. I found them on ebay for about $1.50, but $6 or so shipping.

Here is a link to a submission I put in the Tech Exchange. It shows a package I bought at Farm and Fleet along with all the parts in the package. It was about $7.50 I think. You can use all the wires and still have a switch and wires left over for the project box for next time.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=209618

Another good source for parts would be a local salvage yard. A Saturday morning spent there should give you more parts than you'll need for a $5 bill I'd expect, plus you might be able to find the sockets there as well.

Oh, I just found a relay online for $1.61! (Shipping is $25.48, tho.... Can you believe that?)

Page on Amazon.com with lots of relays/sockets/kits, etc. Shipping is pretty reasonable on there. Make an order for $25 and free shipping, it seems.

Amazon Relays

·
Administrator
21,336 Posts
auto parts stores carry the relay sockets for a few dollars.
I went to O'Reilly's and asked them about a socket for the relays. The guy behind the counter than didn't want to be bothered with helping customers told me he could order them. They ran about $25 each.

There you go! Great price with free shipping (it appears). Nice thing about this one is that it's a 5 pin. You could control 2 devices with the turn of the key. Now, what device would you want to control at the same time you crank the starter?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I went to O'Reilly's and asked them about a socket for the relays. The guy behind the counter than didn't want to be bothered with helping customers told me he could order them. They ran about $25 each.
I should have said a " Real" auto parts store. My local carquest has a spinning rack of electrical sockets and connectors that has them.. I buy them all the time for various aux circuits. Napa also has a Simmilar selection.. Both places also sell keyway stock which, Advance, Orileys and the like will tell you to go to the hardware for

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Orange,

What is the main difference between the 2 relays you linked? Why is one worth more than the other?

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Orange,

What is the main difference between the 2 relays you linked? Why is one worth more than the other?
The first was for 1 relay the next was for 5 relays. :thThumbsU

·
Administrator
21,336 Posts
You probably would just clip the 5th one off. It actually is a second activated wire to run another application when you put power to the relay.

Orange--That is a heck of a price on the X5 pcs you got. Wires, socket, relays, etc. Can't beat that!

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
That is why i got 5 I am always using them. I put him as a saved seller so if I need more.:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 25 Posts