My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SST16
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, didn't know if anyone had any suggestions for me. I recently got a second hand SST, love the way it cuts and handles, but absolutely hate some of the safety features:banghead3. I have a couple of gentle slopes, none of which are dangerous, but they're too tight to do up and down and need to be handled sideways. There appears to be a features that takes the steering away from me and directs the mower downhill to prevent rollovers.

Does anyone know if there is a way to shut this feature off, pull a fuse or something?

Also, for the first time I attached the bagging attachment, and whenever I went up a slope it would stall the machine out. Was this another feature to prevent the machine from rolling backwards? This one I could live with since I rarely expect to use the bagger, just wanted to know what's going on. It was extra annoying since the battery needs replacing and I had to jump it each time it turned off.

Any help would be appreciated. It's a great machine, it would just be a little better if it didn't do these annoying things.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Again :MTF_wel: sis4 :)

I can't answer your question on the bagger feature, not familiar with the sst16.

But as to your question on advice for disabling the other safety feature on your machine, unfortunatley that sort of advice is prohibited here as per forum rules as stated :

5. No Illegal Suggestions Please no pointers, how-to’s, advocating, etc of any illegal activity. (example: By-passing Safety Switches)

I wish you the best and perhaps some will be along to help explain the bagger question :).

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
You might find an answer over at the Yahoo group for JD SST mowers. I picked up an SST16 in June missing the transmissions.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are no safety systems as you describe on an SST. It has the same "normal" things that all JD tractor have - a seat switch to stop the engine if you fall off and the Reverse Implement Option (RIO) that wil shut off the deck when you go in reverse. You can override RIO if you pull up on the PTO switch before reversing (check behind you first for kids, pets, etc). The way an SST will spin around, you should rarely use reverse.

It sounds like what you are experiencing on the sidehill is a simple loss of traction. A SST steers with the rear tires. If they slip or lose grip, you end pointing down hill. In thinking about it, it does sort of feel like someone turned off your steering. There is so much weight on the front of an SST, once the nose swings down hill there is no way the rear tires will pull it back up. You'll just need to ride it out to the bottom.

JD offered a rear weight kit that helps with that by adding traction. You could also add rear wheel weights. But in general, if this happens your slope is too steep. 10% is the max slope for an SST, and the manual states that. Make sure your rear tires are not over inflated (try @ 8 psi) and the fronts are not under inflated. Go slow, and be careful. If this continues, you just won't be able to mow that slope with your SST. They are a flat land machine - just like a twin-stick ZTR is.

I've never had a problem going straight up or down a hill on an SST. That's something else you've got there. Sounds like simple engine bogging. Always run at full throttle.

Again, there is no "slope safety system" on an SST. I do love an SST though. Very underrated machine.

·
SST16
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Yes I believe I had the machine on full throttle when it stalled going up a hill. Is that what is should be, or potentially a problem? It did stall out once on a level surface, so there might have been something else going on. Since the battery was dead and I had to jump it every time I simply pulled it into the shed after the last jump (I only had the back yard left to do, and didn't want to deal with the headache of another stall). Could there have been an electrical issue once the battery died? I just assumed that the battery was really only for starting the machine.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The battery starts the machine, powers the safety systems, powers the "reverse logic" system solenoids, and engages the electrical PTO (power take off - runs the deck). So, when mowing normally you are probably pulling 5 amps. The charging system should keep up with that, but if the battery is really bad I don't know. I suspect if the battery gets dead enough you could have a stalling issue due to the safety systems (relays) not working. You definately need a new battery regardless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts