My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here! I have read this forum off and on for a while and have gotten some great information, so I figure you guys might be able to help me out with my question...

I installed the JD 44" plow blade on my X320 today and something just doesn't seem right to me. I followed the directions to a T and everything looks right, but the attachment raising/lowering pedal doesn't seem to be operating right. When unlocking the pedal from the "up" position (from where you pull the pedal back by hand and lock), the pedal automatically drops to the down position. Normally, the weight of the mower deck would pull the pedal back so that you would step down on the pedal in order to raise the deck and lock it in the up position. With the blade on, the spring seems to pull the pedal down (away from the driver) and the blade raises off the ground. So, it is operating backward from the way it is supposed to.

What am I missing? Am I supposed to be putting weights on the deck that the blade is bolted on to? If you push down on the blade, the pedal moves back (toward the driver's seat), like if the blade were heavier it would pull the spring down and drop the blade all the way to the ground. Did I do something wrong in the installation process or am I supposed to have weights on the blade?

So basically, you have to physically pull the foot lever up with your hand and the blade will drop. When you let go of the lever, the blade rises from the ground. Totally backwards. If you add weight to the blade, the foot pedal rises up as the blade is pushed toward the ground, thus allowing you to push the pedal down and lift the blade like it is supposed to work.

I really want to figure this out without having to go to the dealer as they are 30 miles away and I don't have a trailer to haul the thing on.:banghead3

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
jrfisher I don't know that series of tractor or how the blade attaches but am farmilar with the older stuff and what you describe sounds farmilar. That said it sound's like there is some kind of lift assist spring that need's adjustment like it has too much tension on it. The old 100-200 series with manual lift had an optional lift assist spring that if not adjusted properly would do the same with too much tension on the spring you had to force the blade down. Check the manual for the tractor or the blade for the lift spring adjustment. BILL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that idea about the lift spring. I will see what I can find. I have been all over this thing the past couple of days and cant figure this thing out to save my life.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Not sure what's going on, but you could always unhook it and then try attaching the blade again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have unhooked, uninstalled, flipped around, tried-it-the-other-way, swapped it around... inside and out. Nothing changes.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
jrfisher I don't know that series of tractor or how the blade attaches but am farmilar with the older stuff and what you describe sounds farmilar. That said it sound's like there is some kind of lift assist spring that need's adjustment like it has too much tension on it. The old 100-200 series with manual lift had an optional lift assist spring that if not adjusted properly would do the same with too much tension on the spring you had to force the blade down. Check the manual for the tractor or the blade for the lift spring adjustment. BILL
Yeah, sounds like your missing an assist spring or it is not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something that I did not think about until just now is trying to adjust the deck height knob on the frame... or the cutting height. That doesn't make much sense, though... it's set to the lowest setting right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I will say this... John Deere wasn't messing around on the instructions. They were obviously written with a service technician in mind and not done up for an unexperienced end-user. There is a lot of simple steps that are necessary to the installation that are left out of the written instructions.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Something that I did not think about until just now is trying to adjust the deck height knob on the frame... or the cutting height. That doesn't make much sense, though... it's set to the lowest setting right now.
The cutting height knob should have nothing to do with the blade operation.

Make sure your lift assst spring is set to the designated position for your blade. If memory serves the correct position for blade is different from the mower deck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stladrill, you may have just saved me a LOT of hassle in loading this thing up and hauling it to the dealer. I just got off the phone with them and they said to just bring it in for them to look at. They didn't mention anything about a spring adjustment, but this makes sense. Going out to the shop to check on this and will report back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
And I will say this... John Deere wasn't messing around on the instructions. They were obviously written with a service technician in mind and not done up for an unexperienced end-user. There is a lot of simple steps that are necessary to the installation that are left out of the written instructions.
UGH! Yes! I totally agree with you here. I am by no means novice around mechanics but holy cow their instructions are a major pain. They take a whole lot of assumptions. I end up reading them, rereading them, and then rereading them again before I'm confident in what they're wanting.

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, you were absolutely correct... It was indeed a tension spring adjustment that needed to be made. I called the dealership and they just said I needed to bring it in so they could look at it. I did not have time to find a trailer and load the tractor up and drive it all the way over the mountain (I live in a pretty secluded area and the nearest dealer is a 45 min drive away).

Also... it DOES mention this tension spring in the instruction manual, but it is almost a footnote and is in a section of the manual that I skipped because it was under a heading that gave instructions for a deck model that didn't apply to me (or so I thought). So, yeah, the instructions leave a lot to be desired...

This is the tension spring that has to be adjusted. As posted above (thank you!!!) the adjustment screw is on the very front of the right side bumper. As you can see, the white plastic nut (it says YELLOW in the instruction manual) has been backed all the way back to the setting that denotes "44" blade". This takes almost all of the tension out of the spring so that the weight of the blade pulls it down to the ground.

Finished product! Do your worst, Old Man Winter! I'm ready for 'ya!! (Yes, I have chains, too)

Thanks again for all of your help, guys! This being my first post and all... I now know where to come for the best advice. You saved me a LOT of trouble and hassle today. :congrats:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. Thank you all for all of your help. You saved me a lot of time and a lot of gas to and from the shop. Big Kudos to Stladrill!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh! And one more thing... I posted this same question to another forum or two and still haven't gotten a single response from any of them. MTF is my go-to place from now on!
:greendr:

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Excellent response as always stladrill!
So, you were absolutely correct... It was indeed a tension spring adjustment that needed to be made.

Thanks again for all of your help, guys! This being my first post and all... I now know where to come for the best advice. You saved me a LOT of trouble and hassle today. :congrats:
Amazing what a few photos can do!!!!! Stladrill, great response for the OP!
Yes. Thank you all for all of your help. You saved me a lot of time and a lot of gas to and from the shop. Big Kudos to Stladrill!
:thanku::thThumbsU :trink39:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts