My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just purchased the John Deere S160 Lawn tractor. 24HP ,48”Blade system, Etc. Looks like a very good machine. Now I have read all the specs on the machine. Seems legit and a good Tractor.

I have owned other mowers that have given me nothing but hassles over the years. Breaking down, etc.

I have heard John Deere Brands have been a solid product line. So I took the plunge. I didn’t want the low grade so I bought somewhere in the middle. In the S100 series. Good blade radius, and more horsepower. I pick up tomorrow.

I would like to get some feed back from other John Deere owners that know about this specific series and model if I could please. What they like and dislike about it. Had any issues at all?

It does look all fancy with all the options it comes with. Like the “easy oil change”, cruise control,etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers

·
Registered
822 Posts
Welcome!

The 100-series is a good machine for the money as long as you use it for its intended purpose, which is mowing a flat lot of an acre or less. If that's what you're doing, it will serve you well for 10+ years. The transmission used in those models isn't designed for tackling hills or slopes on a regular basis, so if your lot isn't flat, then the transmission will suffer over time.

To really help you gauge how it will work for you, please tell us how you plan to use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

The 100-series is a good machine for the money as long as you use it for its intended purpose, which is mowing a flat lot of an acre or less. If that's what you're doing, it will serve you well for 10+ years. The transmission used in those models isn't designed for tackling hills or slopes on a regular basis, so if your lot isn't flat, then the transmission will suffer over time.

To really help you gauge how it will work for you, please tell us how you plan to use it.
Thank you for your response. My parcel is flat. About 1.2 acres. I’d just be using it for grass cutting. Maybe buy some attachments for snow blowing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone!

I just purchased the John Deere S160 Lawn tractor. 24HP ,48”Blade system, Etc. Looks like a very good machine. Now I have read all the specs on the machine. Seems legit and a good Tractor.

I have owned other mowers that have given me nothing but hassles over the years. Breaking down, etc.

I have heard John Deere Brands have been a solid product line. So I took the plunge. I didn’t want the low grade so I bought somewhere in the middle. In the S100 series. Good blade radius, and more horsepower. I pick up tomorrow.

I would like to get some feed back from other John Deere owners that know about this specific series and model if I could please. What they like and dislike about it. Had any issues at all?

It does look all fancy with all the options it comes with. Like the “easy oil change”, cruise control,etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers
If you don't want to use the easy oil change system, you can buy the parts and convert it to a regular oil filter system. The cost of the kit is cheaper than 1 easy oil change.

·
Money Pit
836 Posts
The Jury is still out. Only time will tell. They keep adding more and more plastic and let me tell you there's a lot of plastic on those machines. They do have curb appeal. Nice looking machines.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The 100 series is the entry level machine. It is a John Deere, but it is made to meet a low price point. If you understand what you are buying it can be great. When I had to make the choice 15 years ago, I thought the 100 series was what I needed. I certainly thought its price was reasonable. I test drove it and the X300 (now X350). The salesperson had been steering me towards the X300, but it wasn't till I got on it and drove it that I felt the difference. I ended up buying the X300.

Now I realize how little I knew then and that the X300 really wasn't the right machine for my needs. Had I bought the 100 series, I would have figured it out and done something about it much sooner. But, the X350 was still working and I couldn't figure out exactly what I needed/wanted. I now have an X534 and an X749. I bought both of them used and each was significantly more expensive than the new price of my X300 (which was already about 2-3x the price of the 100 series).

For mowing a mostly flat acre that isn't too bumpy, the 100 series is fine and will likely give you a decade of good service. If you need/want more, it will cost a lot more, even if you buy used.

Please don't take this the wrong way. When I first came here, people were hating on the K46 transaxle that is in my X300. I was so concerned about it I bought a spare. It is still in my basement a decade later, because the original one is working fine. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a mower, but you certainly can. If you need a tractor, you will be very disappointed using a mower in its place.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought my LA125 about 8 years ago with 20 hours on it for $1000. It now has 350 hours and has done very well for my 1 acre yard and as of last summer a handful of other yards. So, with a little maintenance and knowing the machines limitations they CAN do pretty well. I don't baby the machine, but I also don't try to tow 500+ pounds. I have used it up some steep hills, but not constantly back to back knowing that that small hydro is working overtime.

The 30 second oil change is neat for the less mess type crowds, which is typical for that price range machine. Hard to say if it will cost the machine service life over the long haul.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you don't want to use the easy oil change system, you can buy the parts and convert it to a regular oil filter system. The cost of the kit is cheaper than 1 easy oil change.
I have an S160 being delivered tomorrow. And I agree that the easy oil change sounds like a bad idea. What is the proper oil weight, and do you think the filter in this kit is large enough?

·
Registered
543 Posts
The jd manual says 10w-30 with there easy change. I suppose to top it off but also shows a graph of other weights depending on where you live. Or outdoor temp.
Filter looks ok for the intended purpose of this model.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
The AM125424 filter has been the standard one for many years on the B&S engines in the 100 series and even the Kawasaki engines in at least the X300 series. No question, it's correct.

The EasyChange filter is huge to accommodate enough oil to make changing just that big filter a reasonable substitute for an oil change.

The oil Deere would recommend is their "Turf Gard" 10W-30.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
There are probably almost as many threads on the "right" engine oil to use as there opinions on it. Many people feel that theirs is the one true way. I believe there are many ways that will get you there. If you are going to be using your engine every day and derive your livelihood from it, you should probably do a lot of research to figure out the one true way for yourself. On the other hand if you are like most people, the most important thing is having enough, clean enough oil. The rest is details that probably don't matter that much.

I have used dino oil, straight 30 weight, 10w-30, 20w-50, part synthetic, full synthetic, 10w-40, 15w-50. I am probably going to switch to diesel oil, full synthetic, 5W-40 for most things. When catalytic converters became a thing, they removed zinc from gas engine oil. Diesel oil still has it. The oil doesn't care if it is in a gas or diesel engine. The zinc is supposed to help with reducing engine wear. I have never ever had an oil related engine failure in many decades. I don't expect using the diesel oil will have any noticeable impact to the life of any of the engines I have, but it will reduce the number of oils I have to keep on hand.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In years past diesel rated oil did have more of the anti wear properties like zinc (pre cj-4) and was what alot of high performance builders used but evan diesel oil now a days is reduced (avg 1100ppm) for the emissions longevity. If one wants to find a oil with highest zinc levels your best bet is to used oil rated for off road use only or racing use only or classic car oil. Valvoline vr1 oil is a good brand which i use straight 30 in my 18.5 kohler mag and my generator and pressure washer. NOT for use in cars and trucks with cats-dpf or strict emissions.
Yes oil topic is like filter(lol) that will go on and on. Follow the manual and keep the oil clean and full like frogmore said and you should be good for the engines life expectancy. 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts