My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ratings for the current line of John Deere riding mowers: Their is just a rigid rating from the way that I look at it. If you want to do everything from heavy mowing to a snow removal business or want a loader, tiller or front brush, you need an x7. Big acreage or mowing business, snow removal in the winter, pull a cart, the x5 will suit you well. If you have small acreage, small things here and there, x3 is your mower. If you just want a riding mower to mow your lawn and do your snow (with blower) IN TOWN, then the D100 series is for you. I fall at the low end of the spectrum- the D series. Each step down, the ruggedness of the tractor takes a step down. at the top, you have the x749 and x749SE. This is the most expensive riding mower Deere currently makes. Big diesel engine, 62 in. deck, large HDAP tires, AWD, AWS, power steering, Twin Touch pedal hydrostatic drive, 2 hydraulic lifts, and many more things I will just chose not to list.. you get my point. On the lowest end of the spectrum, you have the D100. About $1,500 gets you on a seat of a John Deere. Way simplified. Small gas engine, 42 in deck, Small tires, 2WD, 2WS, manual steering, 5 speed transmission, manual lift. There is literally a tractor for everyone. I hate when people say the D series is junk. They abuse them until they are junk. John Deere designed these for light tasks. Mowing once a week, pulling a light trailer, blowing snow on a smaller property, etc. That's just my 2 cents on that topic. What do you guys say?

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
My sister used a LT133 for 12 years.. Till i gave her a 317 with a mower. I used the 133 for 3 years then sold it to a friend he has had it for 2 years. My sis mows 2 acres i have a little under a acre and my friend now mows just under 2 acres with it.. nothing has been rebuilt on it. just new mower blades once in a while..

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Its the people that ask say the D series to be used everyday for 8 to 10 hrs of nothing but mowing.. and start complaining when its flat wore out in less then a season...... If you are going to be using somthing as a business then BUY INDUSTRIAL MACHINES.......... not a light duty homemakes ones.......... My opinion now off my soap box and back to your regular schedule show.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,540 Posts
Looks like your assessment is right on! People need to buy enough tractor for their needs and stop calling the D Series junk...

·
Registered
615 Posts
My ratings for the current line of John Deere riding mowers: Their is just a rigid rating from the way that I look at it. If you want to do everything from heavy mowing to a snow removal business or want a loader, tiller or front brush, you need an x7. Big acreage or mowing business, snow removal in the winter, pull a cart, the x5 will suit you well. If you have small acreage, small things here and there, x3 is your mower. If you just want a riding mower to mow your lawn and do your snow (with blower) IN TOWN, then the D100 series is for you. I fall at the low end of the spectrum- the D series. Each step down, the ruggedness of the tractor takes a step down. at the top, you have the x749 and x749SE. This is the most expensive riding mower Deere currently makes. Big diesel engine, 62 in. deck, large HDAP tires, AWD, AWS, power steering, Twin Touch pedal hydrostatic drive, 2 hydraulic lifts, and many more things I will just chose not to list.. you get my point. On the lowest end of the spectrum, you have the D100. About $1,500 gets you on a seat of a John Deere. Way simplified. Small gas engine, 42 in deck, Small tires, 2WD, 2WS, manual steering, 5 speed transmission, manual lift. There is literally a tractor for everyone. I hate when people say the D series is junk. They abuse them until they are junk. John Deere designed these for light tasks. Mowing once a week, pulling a light trailer, blowing snow on a smaller property, etc. That's just my 2 cents on that topic. What do you guys say?
You sir, have hit the nail on the head... Sometimes people ask way too much out of their tractors, and when they break, all the sudden its the manufactures fault. People should bite the bullet and buy what they need, ive know people who have bought box store tractors to mow 5 acre pastures! Craziness I say. But hey, What do I know right?

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Also maintenance and just plain abuse make huge differences. Our church still uses a L120 that is nearing 700 hrs with nothing major having gone wrong. Do a search on that model and you'll find a number of casualties blaming the quality of the tractor. You'll also find many examples such as ours. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts