My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this blade new from the dealer, but did not test it until it was on my tractor.

I could barely remove the pin that lets the blade angle/spin. Once I did get it out I could not angle/spin the blade. I kicked it, sat on the ground and pushed with both feet/legs and finally slowly backed one edge against a tree and got it to move.

I used it to grade a 1000' driveway, up and back multiple times, so a mile and a half of use and still can't spin/angle it without kicking it loose and then struggling. No way in **** my wife could do it. It is still nowhere near as easy as what I have seen blades on youtube move like.

Will this "break in" or do I have a defective blade/assembly?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Take it apart, remove any rust from the pivot points, grease it, put it back together .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rust, brand new!! Thought maybe it was the paint, but no.

I'll check assembly this weekend.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Even though it is new, it most likely sat outside and there is likely some rust. If you take it apart, you might want to apply some anti-seize as well, but it does sound like something got tightened more than it should or it may have gotten some sand in it along with maybe some salt while traveling on the flatbed to the dealer.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had assembled my new 48" JD blade and had left the pivote bolt too loose, opposite of what you have. It failed to lock in postion when angled due to the slop in the set up and the rather short engagement of the locking pin. I tightened it up quite a bit but only to the point of smooth movement. Greased up the surfaces and it operates perfectly.

It sounds like someone wrenched down on that pivote bolt's nut, maybe to the point of moving the surfaces too close together causing your hard to move situation. I'd remove the nut and try to pull it back and forth, it should move very freely. If not, that might point to the structure having been bent or deformed by something, requiring some straightening.

Good luck and if you find a resolution, please don't forget to post it here.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Try backing off the 1 inch bolt just a little, maybe the guy who assembled the blade had his Wheaties that morning.
This is most likely your problem. Loosen the bolt highlighted below and see if it frees up. Another issue I have had with new blades is weld splatter. Sometimes a little bead of weld will splatter onto the turn table under the boom and make the blade difficult to turn.

If you end up having to remove the big bolt be very careful to support the blade as it is very heavy and can smash fingers and toes if it falls free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts