My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I picked this guy up last weekend off CL for $95 bucks. Runs great, looks to have led a very sheltered life.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That looks great IRQVET. I would like to find one of those some day. Your looks to be in amazing condition and the price seems more than fair.

I was able to get the first of my three cleaned up and running.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That looks great IRQVET. I would like to find one of those some day. Your looks to be in amazing condition and the price seems more than fair.

I was able to get the first of my three cleaned up and running.

That thing looks like you just picked it up off the showroom floor brand new!:tango_face_surprise

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finished rescue mower number 2 today. This one needed a little more work. Carb clean, new recoil, paint and decals. It started on the first pull and everything works! I think it's the best runner so far. With the purchase price, recoil and decals I'm into this one for under $100.00 I'm happy.
Before and after pics:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Finished rescue mower number 2 today. This one needed a little more work. Carb clean, new recoil, paint and decals. It started on the first pull and everything works! I think it's the best runner so far. With the purchase price, recoil and decals I'm into this one for under $100.00 I'm happy.
Would you be willing to share your restoration process of this mower? Was the deck a total repaint? How did you repair the aluminum corrosion pitting? Did you use motor oil to get the engine cover so black and shiny?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Would you be willing to share your restoration process of this mower? Was the deck a total repaint? How did you repair the aluminum corrosion pitting? Did you use motor oil to get the engine cover so black and shiny?
Sure would. Nothing too high tech. It was not a total repaint. I clean the pitted areas with a wire wheel on a 4" grinder for the large areas, and smaller cup brushes for the tight spots. I finish cleaning the small areas by hand. I try to save as much as the original powder coat finish as I can. The top of the deck is mostly all original. I use 1/4" fine line tape to mask off the areas I want to save. The fine line makes it easy to follow the contours of the deck. I prime with sandable primer, staying short of the masked line. After sanding I top coat with two coats of Rustoleum JD green. After the paint dries, I wet sand the masked line to the original powder coat to blend the two. I use a spot finishing compound and then wax on the original powder coat to bring the shine back.
For the black, I use black automotive plastic trim paint.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your process. Sounds very do-able and your results are impressive. How long does it take two coats of the Rustoleum JD Green paint to dry enough to sand out the mask lines?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you so much for sharing your process. Sounds very do-able and your results are impressive. How long does it take two coats of the Rustoleum JD Green paint to dry enough to sand out the mask lines?
It's easy enough. It just takes time. It does help pass the long New England winters.
I try to give the paint a week or so to dry before sanding.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I looked at the wheel but there wasn't a rating on it. I'd say it's medium to course.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got rescue #3 running today. No restoration on this one just yet. It needs to go to work at my son's place. Maybe I'll get it back in the fall and go through it. For now it got an oil change, carb clean, new gas line and a blade sharpening. Like the other it started on the first pull. Everything works as it should. I'm into this one for just the purchase price $33.00 :)
For a bunch of non running mowers in unknown condition, I really lucked out. I'm more than happy.

·
LBAD Victim
977 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between the tricycler silverdeck and the non tricycler silverdeck? I just trashpicked a 14SZ that had no issues whatsoever. Also, can I order aftermarket wheels cheaper than genuine Deere wheels? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can't beat a trash pick on a JD mower.
Aftermarket wheels are available for less money than Deere originals.
Not sure of model differences. I'm sure others will chime in to help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can anyone share the proper steps to replace the traction belt on a 14SE silver deck? I wouldn't trade this mower for anything.I was under the impression the motor had to me loosened from the deck and the Blade Brake Clutch had to be removed from the crankshaft. Looks as if the BBC is threaded for a jack bolt bot the metric ones I tried were to fine of thread leading me to think it is a standard thread.

·
LBAD Victim
977 Posts
If you pull the engine partially off, you can slip the belt around the bbc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks found an older article article that I lost but have 90% memorized I have been to busy flipping spring mowers from owners that just go buy new every couple years. Her with stimilous there are many many units.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts