My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen a couple of postings on this subject but nothing about the solution.

Bagger picks up everything except a narrow strip of clippings about 4 inches wide and 10 inches from left side of more.

Mower has baffles in place. Also, it did not always do this.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
You looked underneath the deck, that it's clean and that the all the belts for the deck and powerflow have good tension, and that the blades are all in good condition (not just sharp, but that the "wings" on blades haven't worn away)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Dave.

I had cleaned and checked everything.

As you suggested maybe the wings have worn. I could try swapping with one of the other blades or get a new one to try.

BTlW, it’s on the right side and not left as I indicated earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
maybe also take the deck belt off and see how the blades spin on their own. it's possible the one spindle (or rather, the bearings in the spindle) are failing and preventing the blade from spinning at full speed. The pulley and belt would also be getting pretty hot after mowing for awhile if this were happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked everything I can think of; levelled the deck, put on new blades and still having the problem with the strip of clippings not being picked up. I’m now thinking that the power flow fan may be worn and not working as well as it should. My next step may be to replace the fan (unless someone knows of a better fix).

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Is the fan in the powerflow unit still bolted to it's spindle? I've had that bolt shear off on my powered bagger fan, and the fan would still rotate a bit, but not nearly enough.

I've also found that higher lift blades also help with getting grass into the bagger.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Has it always been like this, or only recently started?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think problem started a couple of years ago and has been getting progressively worse making me think it’s caused by wear.

The fan is secured and working. The puzzling part is that the mower picks up all the clipping from the far left side of the mower and leaves the clippings about a foot from the intake to the power flow.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Not toooo puzzling: The left blade makes clippings and blows them to the center blade. The center blade makes clippings and blows them, PLUS the clippings from the left blade, to the far right blade. The far right blade also is making clippings and passing those PLUS the clippings from the center blade AND the left blade!!! LOTS of clippings heading towards the discharge.

I'd look inside the chute/tube from the power head to the collection bag. You may (???) have clippings stuck to the inside of that slowing down the clippings. If the power head can't get clippings through the tube, it'll just leave them. If connection chute/tube is clean/clear, replace fan. Bob

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The powerFlo fan blades do wear and lose a lot of suction. I have one now on a GX345 that is pretty worn along the outer edges and tips. I think also that as crud clings to the tube, that can help slow down the transfer of grass into the bags. If there is any loss of suction or flow rate the extra grass has to end up on the ground just outside of the powerflo head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom. As I consider your advice and my own suspicions, I’m looking at replacing the fan (which does have a lot of hours and looks to have wear). I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,637 Posts
1-How old is the system (for wear)?
2-How dry is the grass?
3-How much are you cutting off the grass?
4-How high do you have the deck set?
5-Does this issue start with an empty collection system or only when it's close to being full?
6-Do you have the antiscalp wheels set lower on the right side of the deck?

I've found that these are the biggest issues with using my Power Flow system. I routinely use gator blades and have no problems generally with the lift they create, unless the grass is wet; by wet I mean "juicy" and rapidly growing, not just dewy or rained on.

As the turbine wears, it gradually loses vacuum, and even Gator blades start losing lift as the 'ears' on the blades wear.

If you have the deck set to a fairly high level (3" or more), you begin to lose the effectiveness of the anti-blowout plates and the deck also allows more air to be pulled in from around the edges, decreasing overall vacuum. The more you cut off the grass, the heavier the mass that the vacuum is trying to move, and the more that will get left behind. The left side of the deck starts to lose vacuum first. The partial solution to cutting more, cutting higher, and cutting 'wetter' grass is to slow down, sometimes a lot slower than you want to go.

Once the collection bag or cart starts getting close to full, the less air can pass through the system, which starts causing it to back up. First you start getting what you're describing, a trail of clippings left behind, then the chute begins to clog.

The last thing, with the antiscalp wheels, is that they help keep the deck level, due to the weight of the turbine head. If the deck is even slightly off level, you lose vacuum out the left side, not to mention a more uneven cut, which may go unnoticed.

Maybe your issue is something else, but these are the things I've discovered from using a PowerFlow, with the MC519 collection system, on a 54C deck, for the last ten years.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
What deck do you have. I had a similar problem with my 62c deck and found out I was missing a baffle on the right side. I got the PF used so I didn't know till I looked at the parts break down.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
What deck do you have. I had a similar problem with my 62c deck and found out I was missing a baffle on the right side. I got the PF used so I didn't know till I looked at the parts break down.
I have a 54c deck and as far as I know I don't have any special bafle under my deck...........Do you have a picture as to what this baffle looks like.

Also I'm not leaving any strip of grass either..............My power flow and bagger did not come with the tractor. It was a bagger and power flow I pieced together which works fine. Only additional part I had to buy was the click n go bracket whichI use for both the bagger and weight bracket.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There are definitely baffles that are supposed to be bolted to the underside of the lips around the perimeter of the deck. Go to partscatalog.deere.com and search your tractor model and find the parts list for the bagging system.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I have a 54c deck and as far as I know I don't have any special bafle under my deck...........Do you have a picture as to what this baffle looks like.

Also I'm not leaving any strip of grass either..............My power flow and bagger did not come with the tractor. It was a bagger and power flow I pieced together which works fine. Only additional part I had to buy was the click n go bracket whichI use for both the bagger and weight bracket.
The strip next to the discharge chute comes with the PF when getting new. The other pieces at the top is the anti blowout kit.
IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
The strip next to the discharge chute comes with the PF when getting new. The other pieces at the top is the anti blowout kit.
The anti blowout kit virtually eliminated any grass or leaves from getting on top of my 54C. One of the best things I did to that deck for sure.

There is another baffle for the 54C that is supposed to take care a clipping “windrow” that comes from the one side. I sold my 54C before I was able to try it out, but no amount of leveling or blade swaps made it better so that kit was going to be the next thing I tried. Anti drop clipping isolator AM134061.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
View attachment 2395731

View attachment 2395733
Yeah, I don't have that on my deck............might want to try that a anti blowout kit though to keep the clippings off the top of the deck. Now to find part number.

Which one, whats the difference besides price, which is better?

AM133765, or BM20985

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
what if you cut clock-wise which should have blower on uncut side, this way you can pick-up clipping that where left over from last pass.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, I don't have that on my deck............might want to try that a anti blowout kit though to keep the clippings off the top of the deck. Now to find part number.

Which one, whats the difference besides price, which is better?

AM133765, or BM20985
AM133765 is the kit shown on TJR345’s deck. I also installed that on mine and it worked great. I also used high lift blades. This kit is supposedly best for side discharge.

BM20985 is for use in conjunction with a bagger with a focus on improved leaf retention according to greenpartsstore’s description:

Leaf bagging kits for the 54C, and the 54-in. EdgeTM Xtra Mowers reduce leaf blowout when using a Power Flow blower to collect leaves.

Leaf bagging kits can also be used to reduce blowout when mowing dry grass; however, they should be removed when mowing higher-moisture grass. They must be removed before a mulching attachment can be installed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts