My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i found out the ross steering unit was used on many deere's and deere seems to have much cheaper prices then mtd..so i am going to rebuild the 127 ross steering unit and see if that tightens it up a smudge..what i need is the JD 1/2"-20 steering pin number as i already have the 9/16"-18 JD number which is--M45567...i dont really know what size steering pin (aka stud) is in these old 127's so any assistance appreciated...my 127 is about done..i did some welding last week on the deck elevator and put everything back together..all thats really left is trying to tighten up the steering and i suspect a new pin along with some tie rod ends would help immensly...also, i tried rustproofing the deck using some old quacker state auto rustproofing gunk i got from the pontiac dealer 30 years ago..years ago i tried some automotive miracle paint brand stuff and it did not hold up at all...anybody ever powdercoated a deck and how well does that hold up....thanks..god speed

·
Registered
301 Posts
well i found out the ross steering unit was used on many deere's and deere seems to have much cheaper prices then mtd..so i am going to rebuild the 127 ross steering unit and see if that tightens it up a smudge..what i need is the JD 1/2"-20 steering pin number as i already have the 9/16"-18 JD number which is--M45567...i dont really know what size steering pin (aka stud) is in these old 127's so any assistance appreciated...my 127 is about done..i did some welding last week on the deck elevator and put everything back together..all thats really left is trying to tighten up the steering and i suspect a new pin along with some tie rod ends would help immensly...also, i tried rustproofing the deck using some old quacker state auto rustproofing gunk i got from the pontiac dealer 30 years ago..years ago i tried some automotive miracle paint brand stuff and it did not hold up at all...anybody ever powdercoated a deck and how well does that hold up....thanks..god speed

Snooter: Are you referring to the Cam follower when you speak of the steering pin/stud? If so, there are a couple of guys on ebay that have that cam follower in a kit that works quite well, and they were very reasonably priced too. I have one in my rebuilt Ross Steering for my 1200 Cub Cadet. You're right, it helped a whole lot in tightening up the steering along with replacing the tie rod ends.

My steering now feels like it has power steering. What a surprise and joy to drive that 1200 CC now!:trink39::trink39:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tore the ross steering apart and it was in surprisin good condition...i did go to john deer and order the steering ball bearing kit ($28-races,retainers, balls) which was half the price of cub...i made a new gasket for the seal cause i didnt wanna pay $11 for that...i have lots of motion pro cork gasket around so i made my own..saves a ton of money that way and i even make gaskets for my old cycles...yes the cam plate is warped due to IH welding in the bolt but i left it..my press is not big enuff and i figured its been like that since day 1...i did buy the super steer kit bearing ($3.65 at bearing store-nice 605 bearing) and 2 thrust washers and a lock nut..cheaper then the kits some are selling and that upgrade will take some of the load off the cam bolt..seat of your pants feel i guess..even my steering pin was decent so i just put it in the lathe and redressed it a little that saves $30...for about $33 i will have the whole unit rebuilt which is cheap..ill let you know how well it works

ps:yes john deer parts are a heck of a lot cheaper...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Snooter, glad I was correct on the parts identification. I just went the same route as you have on my Cub Cadet 1200.

That cam follower with ball bearings lock nut was about $12.50 on ebay. Of course you'd have to pay minor shipping, but still less than the $28.00.

Good quality stuff too. At least that's the route I followed. I could swear I have power steering on mine now, and I know I don't. Literally one or two finger steering is all the effort it takes.

That leaves plenty of fingers and one hand to carry my (ahem) frosty beverage with. :trink39:

Good luck on the project!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts