My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the engine of my Model M John Deere rebuilt by a local mechanic but was sad to discover that I am not getting any oil up to the valves. After taking the engine off I discovered that I am not getting oil into the reservoir located at the end of the cam shaft. I can see the vertical oil shaft going through the cam bearing and up to the valves, however there is not a hole coming into the cam end reservoir. Should there be a second hole in that cam bearing allowing oil to flow in and up? Where is the inlet hole located? I am worried that the bearing was installed incorrectly. If the oil inlet hole is located at the bottom of the reservoir could I simply drill a small hole through the bearing? Any help or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yes there should be a second hole in the cam bearing. The hole allowing oil into the bearing is at an angle towards the center of the crankshaft journal. Assuming that the inlet hole is aligned, you could drill additional hole to provide oil to rocker arms. You will need to remove the camshaft though so drill bit does not contact cam bearing journal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Would it be possible for me to drill the hole through the bearing without pulling the camshaft? I know the ideal way would be to remove the cam, but I am not very excited to tear down the engine again. Is the inlet hole directly opposite of the outlet (directly at the bottom of the bearing)? Thanks again for your help with this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't try to drill without removing the cam. When you drill, it will inevitably leave a burr on the inside of the bearing that I would want to remove with a file to prevent it from scarring the bearing journal. No, the inlet hole is not directly opposite. It is offset toward the center of the crankshaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts