My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting grass and my mower locked up. I thought I had hit a hole with the front wheel, but had not? The Transmission oil was low but not out. The transmission never made any noises or slipped? I added 5w 30 to the full line. Cranked the mower. It won’t go forward or reverse? This transmission has been super with no prior problems. Would this definitely be the transmission? If it is where can I buy a new or reconditioned transmission? Cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like Ss313 said, check drive belt first, then my next step would be to try to bleed any air out of the transmission if it was really low. Easier to do if the rear end is off the ground. Jack it up, then take the fill cap off and try to go forward and reverse over and over while keeping the fluid level topped off until you get all the air bled out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Ss313 said, check drive belt first, then my next step would be to try to bleed any air out of the transmission if it was really low. Easier to do if the rear end is off the ground. Jack it up, then take the fill cap off and try to go forward and reverse over and over while keeping the fluid level topped off until you get all the air bled out.
Ok thanks very much.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sounds like a belt or linkage issue. How much oil did you have to add?

You said you checked the belt, it has proper tension and the idler pulleys are all intact?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Added less than a half quart and it over filled.
Low fluid is/was not your problem.

And the belt? Does the fan on the transmission spin and continue to spin when you step on the pedal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn’t check that. Will check it. Thank you.
I was cutting grass. It came to a sudden stop. Drive belt looks good but the belt for the blades is damaged in places? Damaged on the inside? Has parts missing out of the inside v in places. That belt was not like that when I began cutting grass. I didn’t hit or run over anything?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Regarding the belt. If you are missing pieces from the bottom of the "V" of the belt, that is likely due to it being dried out and cracked. The dried out and hardened rubber, allows the bits to tear off as they try to flex around the pulleys. While it will stay on the pulleys, it is only a matter of time (probably sooner than later) before it just breaks.

I'd get a replacement belt, air bleed the trans as suggested earlier, and see where that gets you.

Good luck and let us know how this works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts