My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for advice with managing a water drainage problem at my house, that is located in Rapid City SD. The soil contains lots of rocks that vary from golf ball to watermelon size.

After an internet search, I discovered the Johnny bucket Jr.and figured out that it was a match for my John Deere LA120. The question that I have is will the mower/bucket combo have enough guts to rip up, and lift up the soil? My plan would be to shave off from the surface about one or two inches at a time and contour of the land so that drainage can occur. And I plan on putting in a drain tile as well.
My pickup truck & tow strap can move the larger stones, but I'm not sure if the Johnny Bucket combined with my mower will have enough guts for the contouring.

I'm hoping to communicate with folks who have the same JD LA120 & JB Jr. combination and to learn from their experiences. Also, I'd be grateful to see any pictures showing me the work accomplish.

Thanks for your time,

Tony A.

·
21,405 Posts
:Stop:

That is a bad idea on so many levels that it's scary! Can you afford to buy a new mower before that job is done?

The heart and soul of a tractor is the transmission, not the engine. There are many old GTs out there with engines less than 14 hp that will do what you want without a worry because the transmission was designed for the task. The transmission in your tractor was designed to mow a level lawn and not much else.

·
21,405 Posts
LT - Lawn tractor

GT - Garden tractor

And you will also come across

SCUT -Sub compact utility tractor (a heavy GT on steroids)

CUT -Compact utility tractor (small farm tractor)

GTs, as a general rule, have bolted on rear wheels like a car, usually 12 or 15" diameter rims, and are heavier than LTs. The weight listed for an LT includes the weight of it's mower. The weight listed for a GT is for the tractor alone. When doing a task such as you described, weight is king. Without it, the tires just spin.

To look up info on various LTs and GTs, bookmark tractordata.com.

·
10,312 Posts
The transmission and the front end components on your lawn mower are not built heavy enough to do the task you described. If you know someone with a skidsteer, or if you are comfortable operating one, that job would be best done with a rental machine, a borrowed one, or hired out.

If I looked correctly, a JBjr is over $1,400? You can rent a skidsteer for a week and teach yourself how to run it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts