My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my John Deere LA115 is very hard to start since last summer. I suspected a battery issue since it's original battery and the tractor is 8 years old but it only have like 100 HOURS done yet (no joke!), so I just put a brand new 330A battery from Costco but the problem is still present.

Issue when I try to start the tractor, like 90% of the time, when I turn the key to the cranking position, I only hear like a relay clicking, but no crank. The fix is to cycle the key OFF and ON (crank) several time and it finally crank. Sometime it may requires like a dozen+ of key cycles, sometime only 1-2 times.

I already checked all the power wiring for any loose of wrongly seated connection, everything appears to be fine at first glance. Now if I follow the harness from the ignition key to the starter, I see a small relay (that is zip tied to the main harness coming from the dash board) and I also see a small black boxe screwed to the chassis with 4 wires coming in and out and one of them ends to be the starter main power wire...

So I assume I may have something bad in this area, but I am not sure which one is bad and I don't know neither how these components are called to order a replacement part. The relay look pretty universal but not the small black box.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You may have one problem or several problems! Look around online for a wiring diagram. If you don't have a meter, get one and learn how to use it!

Start at starter solenoid...small round until on top of starter. It should have 3 wires, one large going to battery, one large going to starter, and one smaller wire going into wiring harness. Put meter on small wire terminal and to tractor frame or engine (ground). With you or someone turning key to "Start", you should have 12.5+ volts on meter. If so, put meter on large wire going to starter, turn key to "Start"...should have 12.5+ volts.

Do these preliminary checks and post results back here. Also, if you find a wiring diagram, post that also! Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.