My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am new to the forum, but have owned JD's my whole life, and I recently came across a good deal, or what I thought was a good deal :( I found a L100 mower for $300 bucks yea it had a little rust, and the hood was cracked a little but $300 bucks I could get that back, well when I cranked it there it ran fine even cut fine, so I brought it home, changed the oil,sparkplug,cleaned the card,new air filter, even took the old gas out and put new gas in. Well now it smokes so much that it has killed every mosquito in the neighborhood, I have oil coming out on the exsaust and when I shut it off smokes rises from inside the dipstick hole. I thought that it may be buring the old oil off the rings and the mufflar because he had synthetic oil in it originally, which I know is a big NO NO, and the only thing left that I can think of is the rings?? right I was hoping not but I was going to get some other opinions first,any help would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

wedigdixie:greendr:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i didnt overfill it I made sure of that, I know that you are not supposed to put synthentic oil in an older mower b/c in can blow past the rings and gaskets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...I know that you are not supposed to put synthentic oil in an older mower b/c in can blow past the rings and gaskets.
Haven’t heard that one.

What I do know about synthetic lubricants is this, it all depends on which side of the OEM’s fence you are on that will decide if you can use it or not. Some advocate it, some don’t.

The biggest problem that you have in small engine application is the break in period as mentioned. Synthetic oils lubricate so well that they slow down the break in process leaving the possibility for problems, i.e. glazed cylinder wall and or rings, due to improper loading before break in.

After a good break in process, there is no harm using synthetics.

Some thoughts come to mind about your current situation.

...changed the oil,sparkplug,cleaned the card,new air filter, even took the old gas out and put new gas in.
One, previous owner had the same problem and covered it up?

How, I’ve personally “seen” Lucas oil treatment hide minor ring and cylinder wear (smoking engine) when used in the proper amount. This would perhaps explain the sudden problem?

Two, lucky you, a blown head gasket.

This would explain the positive crankcase pressure (verify with manometer) smoking out of the dip stick tube and exhaust?

Three, worn out as you suspect and why it was sold for $300.00 dollars.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts