My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with lots of time on my hands I finally worked up the courage to tackle this dreded task. I have a jx85 that the trans locked several years ago. my sc14 still runs like a top but the axel is so worn it was causing problems with the spur gears. I took apart the jx85 trans and took the cover off the 14sc trans to use as a guide for reassembly . the grease has completely dried up in the jx85 trans and a cleaning and re greasing and it was ready to go back together. eaiser said that done! finally after many attempts it was back together. not a easy job!. the jx85 trans is installed in the 14sc and working. my 30 year old 14sc is ready to go back to work.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,673 Posts
Good job. I have a couple JX85 just rotting away out back

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good -I may need another trans someday. the jx 85 and 75 are different in axel length. few know this. price for a new trans is around 500$ and just the axel is 110$. hope you are well ford

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,673 Posts
good -I may need another trans someday. the jx 85 and 75 are different in axel length. few know this. price for a new trans is around 500$ and just the axel is 110$. hope you are well ford
Well good grief i may have lied then, I think mine are actually JX75. Sorry about that friend. I am doing OK. Hope to finally retire next spring so I can finish my many started projects I never seem to have time to finish. I hope you are doing fine as well Dan.

·
Administrator
21,095 Posts
I had to take one of those apart a few years back. I don't remember details now but I do recall having problems getting it all buttoned up when done. Interesting when I took it apart (it was a vintage machine at that time) the gears were all like new, teeth still razor sharp with no sign of any wear at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i love working on these transmissions they are very logical in design and function and bullet proof as long as the grease doesn't become contaminated. the hardest thing i found when putting them back together was making sure the bushings with the tabs on them are in the correct orientation in the case or the case will not fit together correctly the axle will bind up.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you are so right about the tabs on the bushings. took me a whole day to figure this out

·
Registered
97 Posts
you are so right about the tabs on the bushings. took me a whole day to figure this out
I have re packed a 14sc transmission years ago. I have quite a few year that will need it done again. I am going to look at a jx85 later today. Will see how the trans feels to decide if it's worth buying. What type of grease did you use? I remember the new grease was a tan color. I used lucas red and tacky. And also used #1 grease too on a M series tufftorq.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have used both amsoil synthetic and Lucas red and tacky i like the amsoil a lot more especially after a winters storage i find the trans with the red and tacky feels stiff and has a hard time getting the clutch to engage after sitting all winter. I did not have that problem with the amsoil

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these tranmissions are a crap desighn! mine worked for 1 day and is back to not engaging the clutch. had it in and out and apart 3 times and it still wont work . buying new trans for 300$ worth it not to have to mess with this one any more. deere should have used the toro style trans. no stupid clutch to fail

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
new trans installed. don't ask what it cost. from now on I am replacing my 14sb/jx75 5 speed trans with the ja 62 2 speed trans. they don't seem to fail .

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought the 2 Speed trans where the same units they just had fewer gears and a spacer to take the place of the removed gears same clutch bell system. If I am remembering what I saw in the exploded views for these transmission

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are correct but my 2 speed has never malfunctioned like ALL my 5 speeds have. installing a nother 2 speed into a 12sb tomorrow. got from ebay .is in brand new condition. fingers crossed. I love these deere mowers and am willing to do what it takes to keep them working. even have a very rare 2 stroke briggs 12sb -its getting the new 2 speed trans .

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eventually I would like to learn what goes wrong with the clutch in these-but I have run out of cool weather and its too hot in florida to work on stuff during summer unless emergency. pretty shure its has to do with whether the ball bearings fall into place at the right time and place

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting I have rebuilt 5 or 6 of these 5speed trans and never had one that I haven't been able to put back to working order. Most of the time its a simple regrease or have needed new bearings for the drive pully. The worst needed new clutch balls, selection spring and detentball all due to sever rust and damage. I love these mowers and pick up anything I can find in repairable condition.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They are a very simple clutch. Under the clutch bell are two ball bearings that sit in holes in the gear cluster. The axel shaft has 2 dentents drilled in it. When the trans is tilted up to engage the clutch the plastic lever pushes the clutch bell forward. The inside of the clutch bell is a cone and forces the balls into the detents on the axel locking the trans into drive. They are bullet proof as long as the balls aren't damaged or rusted in place from lack of maintenance. Have you checked out my post on overhaul these trans it has pictures that better show how this works

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine was rusted up but cleaned it and re greased it. worked for 1 day then back to not engaging. I did see your pics and narrative. on the + side the ja 62 trans is installed in the 12sb and works perfect. had to do some fabricating to make it fit. as a unexpected bonus -the jx85 rear steel wheels fit perfect. I know you cannot mount these to a jx 75 trans but they do fit on the ja 62 trans-go figure. my 12sb now sports jx85 wheels front and back. awesome!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thats good to know. I was able to get the 14sc drive shaft and instal it in my 14sb transmission making it into the 14sc trans that fits the commercial wheels of the 14sc with the metal drive gears makes for a great set up. So much better traction with the rubber tread for the hill in my back yard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts