My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea I use deere adaptors. crank is a 7/8. the bennifits are 10 lbs lighter and reliability. more engine power. if you are going to just flip mowers -I wouldn't bother. the new owners arnt going to know any better either way. these mowers should have never had bbc in the first place. the 14sb isn't a good bagger to start with. if you need to bag get a snapper or ariens
Thanks for the info...I'll keep that in mind if I run out of clutches or want to keep a few spares. For now I want mine to have them...been teaching my kids to just let go of the handle if they loose control of the mower so hopefully a bit safer. I only bag when I let the yard get ahead of me...I hate bagging.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the bbc is for safety agree. since I use mine commercial the bbc is a huge liability
What's your opinion on the aluminum commercial wheels (JX85 & 14SX) vs the standard yellow plastic wheels? I'd like to restore my 14SX eventually but most of the commercial wheels I have aren't in the greatest shape. Wondering how much of a benefit they actually are?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What's your opinion on the aluminum commercial wheels (JX85 & 14SX) vs the standard yellow plastic wheels? I'd like to restore my 14SX eventually but most of the commercial wheels I have aren't in the greatest shape. Wondering how much of a benefit they actually are?
Just keep in mind that the axle length on the JX85/14SX is shorter than the axle length on the JX75/14SB/14SE in order to accomodate the commercial wheels. I've seen guys get JX85 wheels and think they were just going to slap them on their JX75 and take off. They find out pretty quickly that the axle length difference prevents this from working properly unless you change out the wheels and the transmission from the JX85/14SX.

Check out the attached pics for the axle length differences. Credit for the first two pics goes to MTF's own member Wisconsin140. Thee commercial mowers (JX85/14SX/14SC) have the shorter axle to accommodate the commercial wheels, metal spur gears, and metal covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just keep in mind that the axle length on the JX85/14SX is shorter than the axle length on the JX75/14SB/14SE in order to accomodate the commercial wheels.
Hmmm...I had that backward in my head...thought the commercials were wider so I could just shim the plastic wheels out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe I’ve got it mixed up too, but then I’ve never owned a JX85, 14SX or 14SC commercial mower so all I can go on is what I’ve read and seen others post. All I know for sure are that the axle lengths are different so you can’t simply swap the wheels.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Early post on this thread says axle on JX85 is slightly wider to accommodate the commercial wheels so it looks like the pics I posted earlier by Wisconsin140 had the labels reversed. The JX85 should be the one with the longer axle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Early post on this thread says axle on JX85 is slightly wider to accommodate the commercial wheels so it looks like the pics I posted earlier by Wisconsin140 had the labels reversed. The JX85 should be the one with the longer axle.
That's what I'd seen & was hoping was correct. I found one thread where the guy said he couldn't add the JX85 wheels to a JX75 because the axles were too short but you can add the JX75 wheels to the JX85 with extra spacers to get it working. If that is the case I could put the yellow plastic ones on until I find better aluminum wheels.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts