My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was given a JX75 that was destined for the scrap heap. About $140 later, I have replaced all the worn and broken parts and have a good working mower. In fact I love it!

I am looking to get a back up mower and have been offered a JX85 & SB14, the latter is in good order and the JX85 needs a new drive cable. I will be able to check whether it propels once the clutch arms are raised before parting with the cash. Looking at the spec's it seems that other than the JX85 being 20lbs heavier than the others, they are identical regards engine, transmission and other spec's.

Does anyone know what if anything the differences are?

·
Registered
50 Posts
JX85 has a different length on the transmission shafts that drive the different wheels. Gears on the wheels are different. Height adjuster assemblies for the back wheels differ because they have built-in slotted guide plates.

·
Registered
595 Posts
85 Had heavier ball bearing wheels with steel gears instead of plastic, that resulted in the axle needing to be a tad wider, so tranny is different, also has more heavy dutier wheel adjusters,
very HD nice machines, I have a JE75 which is the electric start model, love mine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. So basically the JX85 is a beefed up JX75 designed for the commercial market?

I'm hoping to be able to get both these (they are sold as a pair) and then sell on the SB14, keeping the JX85 as a project / spare.

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So basically the JX85 is a beefed up JX75 designed for the commercial market?

I'm hoping to be able to get both these (they are sold as a pair) and then sell on the SB14, keeping the JX85 as a project / spare.

Those JX 85's are EXTREMELY hard to find. I would restore that thing in a heartbeat. The JX85 is a commercial JX75. It also came standard with the oil filter, whereas the JX75 and 14SB have it as an optional accessory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The JX85 is missing a push / pull cable and I know where I can get a new one for about $25. Going on the photo the SB14 looks like it has had some use as the seller has changed the front wheels with the back ones just like I did on my JX75. I could put the better 2 wheels from my JX75 on the SB14 and then buy four new Oregon wheels for mine, and sell the SB14 for whatever I could get for it to fund the restoration. It is supposedly working perfectly so it should be easy to move on.

I'll know better tomorrow when I go to view and hopefully collect.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would bring both of them home, best mowers ever made, most parts are available through John Deere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to view the mowers today and left them where they were. The SB14 badly needs a BBC or the bearing replacement. It is really bad. But if the bearing is worn it is likely that the friction parts will be worn too. A new BBC is €160 over here. The JX 85 is in a very sorry state and also needs a new BBC or bearing replacement. There are several parts missing including the push/ pull drive cable. It could not be made to propel so I could not easily assess whether the spur gears were OK without dismantling a wheel. They are $150 each! Even used ones are fetching $80. Plus postage from the USA to France. By then I'd made up my mind that they were too expensive.

I've left an offer of one-third of the asking price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a JX75 that is in very good condition and looking to sell. I'm in CT. Anyone can PM me if interested. Has the bag and side discharge shoot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too far for me to travel I'm afraid. But I have found another JX85 for sale at a reasonable price and it looks in good condition. It is being sold by a private seller who has only used it for domestic use.

https://whttps://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2377905&

https://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2377905&thumb=1

The seller reports that the transmission is faulty so I'll hope that it is something simple like the shaft key or a loose belt.

I was reading a post by someone who used JX75's and JX85's for commercial mowing. He said that each mower did on average 4 hours a day and he got three years out of them before needing BBC replacements. If he worked 5 days a week then the mowers would do 20 hours work in a week. My mower does 30 minutes per week, one-fortieth of his mower's work. So on that basis the JX85 should last me 120 years less whatever the previous owner has put on it. :tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hopefully I'll be picking the JX85 up tomorrow. While browsing a freeads site I came across this old mower being sold for parts for very little money. At first I thought it was a Franken Mower with steel wheels and an oil filter being added to an old 14SB, but closer inspection shows that is it a "14SC Pro".

https://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2378221&thumb=1

https://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2378219&thumb=1

Once I've had a good look at the JX85 I might contact the seller of the other one and try and do a deal. It is worth the price just for the wheels and if the spur drives are OK the whole mower works out at less than the cost of one new one. I'm not sure if it has a BBC though. There doesn't seem to be a cable going down the right hand side and neither photo gives a good view of the handle. The motor has been taken out as it is facing the wrong way.

There isn't much information on the web about this model but the ones shown all have a BBC so hopefully one will be included.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
the 14sc does NOT have a bbc. this is a good thing. I have had both deere modles and the non bbc is far better in performance and lighter. there is more to wear out and expencive to replace on the deere bbc . I have a 14sc in my stable that's given 30 years of service in commercial duty also. -it needs a new rear axle finally as its almost worn tru. the 14sc and jx85 are identical in every way except where bbc is concerned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got the JX85 home and managed a little time to check it out as best as I could given the lack of light. The body is very good with no dings or repairs and the handle itself is good too. There might be an issue with where the handle mounts the deck as that is loose and the bolt cannot be moved at the moment, but I'm not too worried.

The engine fired up from cold on the second pull and ran smoothly with no smoke. The seller couldn't get the BBC lever to lock in place and kept pushing it forward, but once I got it home a little silicone spray sorted that issue. There is no BBC squeal when the blades are stationary and the blades engage smoothly.

Traction was the issue. The seller reported a broken transmission and sure enough it doesn't self-propel. Going through the check list; spur drives are in good order as are the pinions. The pulley wheel tightens against the belt but nothing happens. When the drive handle is engaged both wheels can be turned either way so that to me indicates the clutch isn't engaging as it should. The pulley cavity was a bird's nest of dried vegetation and everything is as dry as a bone. Closer inspection reveals that the arms and levers of the clutch assembly don't look to be lined up correctly. It might have had a little knock on a rock or branch. If I can get the wheels to lock in reverse by manually pressing the clutch arm I'll know that is the problem. At the moment there is too much debris and not enough light to get in there.

Once I have some daylight time I should be able to strip the clutch parts and assess the situation.

Going back to the 14BC; it looks like Dan is correct. This model does not have a BBC, but has the other extras that distinguish the JX75 from the JX85. That part that replaces the BBC isn't easily available in France and it is increasingly difficult to find JX85 parts such as the metal spur drives and wheels with tread on them. It might be worth getting the 14SC just as a parts bin. Selling the non-BBC adapter would cover the purchase price of the whole mower.
:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update; The gearbox is off, cleaned, re-assembled and working on the bench. I forgot to get some gasket seal yesterday so it will have to wait until tomorrow to be sealed and replaced on the mower. The clutch fork had become jammed with debris and that debris had acted as a fulcrum that allowed the fork to dislodge and come out of the grooves of the drive shaft.

While the height adjuster parts were off I took the opportunity to clean the crud out from between the plates and scrub the dried grease off the metal. I had difficulty moving the adjuster to access the bolts required to remove the transmission. I think that this mower, whilst superficially is in good condition, has suffered from lack of cleaning and maintenance. It has been used to cut dry weeds and scrub looking at what is lodged in the cavities.

The handle issue is due to the mower not having the 4 bushes to support the bolts causing it to waggle about. A new set is €33 so I am going to get the 14SC that is being sold for parts as that has a good set on it, plus some good tread on the tyres. I should be able to get it for €40, take the parts I need or might need and dump the rest. I know that some of you guys would give your Grannie's teeth for a 14SC, but the deck has been repaired with a plate and I really do need those handle bushes, wheels, cables, carburettor, blade adapter and transmission as spares. Shame is doesn't have a clutch spring :tango_face_smile_bi

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
Well, it will be all the more rare once I dump the stripped carcase of this one in the scrap heap. :tango_face_smile:
I would advise against that 100%. Those 14SC's are super amazing machines. I would fix it and use both of them. The non BBC Kawasaki is super hard to find, and once you use one without BBC, you will see why they are so highly sought after. So much more torque than the BBC machines. DO NOT SCRAP THAT MOWER!! Telling a group of John Deere mower enthusiests that you are scrapping one of the rarest John Deere Models is like telling the Pope that God is not real. You just don't do it!:tango_face_smile:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts