My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
The rebuild kits used to be around $200, a couple of years ago. They are now around $400. Compared to that, the K57 is a bargain.
So far, the reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on the K57 is because, although marginally but measurably better, I would be tempted to put it in just to see how much better it would be. The other half of me has a twisted challenge to see how long the “non-serviceable” T40 trans will last with proper preventative service. Lol

If I’m being honest with you and myself, I will probably him and haw about it until the T40 gives up the ghost, and then be upset with myself because by that time the K57 will be $1200. 😂

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Well, you could do what I did many years ago: buy a spare transaxle and wait for the original one to die. I am still waiting and am getting ready to get the X300 ready to sell. Since I got the X534 fixed up, I haven't really used the X300 much. Since I also have an X749, I can't see much need for the X300. I was really unhappy I missed out on the first set of K61s, so I bought the K46 when I found a good deal. Missed out on the 2nd round of K61s, because I already had the spare K46 and had already decided I really wanted difflock and AWS and hydraulics, so the K61 would not get me any of that, but a new (to me) machine would.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Well, you could do what I did many years ago: buy a spare transaxle and wait for the original one to die. I am still waiting and am getting ready to get the X300 ready to sell. Since I got the X534 fixed up, I haven't really used the X300 much. Since I also have an X749, I can't see much need for the X300. I was really unhappy I missed out on the first set of K61s, so I bought the K46 when I found a good deal. Missed out on the 2nd round of K61s, because I already had the spare K46 and had already decided I really wanted difflock and AWS and hydraulics, so the K61 would not get me any of that, but a new (to me) machine would.
So what you’re saying is my trans will be fine for years to come. Right on! Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you go the route of the K57, spin the input shaft with a drill motor, and while doing that, actuate the forward/reverse linkage to see which way it’s oriented. My LA135 I think utilizes reverse actuation. When the forward pedal is applied, it pushes the trans lever rearward and the trans spins the axles forward. If the K57 doesn’t match your tractor’s behavior, you can remove the bottom trans cover and flip the drive swashplate 180* and the controls will then work the opposite direction. You can do all these checks before you install it in your machine.

My T40 still seems to be fine, but I have been considering grabbing one of those K57s just to have around, especially at $300. I think the overhaul motor rebuild kit for mine costs more than that.
I contacted Surplus Center and asked if it would fit the L110. But it seems like from what I hear here it will. I will go that route if they say say it will. As much as I would like a new machine, I think I like the $ more. Is there a video on flipping the swashplate. That is foreign territory for me. I guess running the drill forward would spin it in the dir3ection the motor would turn it. Right?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Surplus Center probably doesn't know if it fits or not. They buy surplus stuff for really cheap and then sell it for pretty cheap (in addition to the standard stuff they carry).

I found this from someone who made the switch. Looks like the K57R might be backwards from what the 100 series use, but still possible to make it work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Surplus Center probably doesn't know if it fits or not. They buy surplus stuff for really cheap and then sell it for pretty cheap (in addition to the standard stuff they carry).

I found this from someone who made the switch. Looks like the K57R might be backwards from what the 100 series use, but still possible to make it work.

Thanks for the heads up. .Any idea where to find the swapping the swashplate instructions.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. .Any idea where to find the swapping the swashplate instructions.
This video does a really nice job of walking through a complete rebuild. At exactly the 35:00 minute mark, he discusses the swash plate making the trans work backwards. I suggest watching the whole thing though, it's pretty informative.

From the pictures listed on the surplus site Frogmore linked, it appears flipping the swashplate WILL be necessary. If the picture is indicative, the reverse switch is on the opposite side of the actuator arm, indicating reverse operation. Also, I think the name "K57R" indicates it as well. So, you will have to swap your reverse switch bracket also.

I think I am going to order one myself just to have.

EDIT: I just ordered one.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
FYI, I just read somewhere else that it may be necessary to swap your original axles into the new K57R as well. I can confirm this when I receive the new K57R, but it appears your original axles might be a bit longer than the ones in the new trans. Not a really big deal, especially if you are going to remove the cover to flip the swashplate. At that point, there are two slotted clips to remove and then the axles pull out.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Paul, you have now guaranteed that your current tranny will last forever :)
Just as you can see from my avatar pic, I have guaranteed it will never snow again in Michigan! :D

If nothing else, it will allow me to worry less about what I am hauling around the yard, knowing I have a solid backup on hand. I still won't go out of my way to abuse the T40, but I can be a little more relaxed about it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just as you can see from my avatar pic, I have guaranteed it will never snow again in Michigan! :D

If nothing else, it will allow me to worry less about what I am hauling around the yard, knowing I have a solid backup on hand. I still won't go out of my way to abuse the T40, but I can be a little more relaxed about it.
I think it was in 2013, or 2014, when we got several FEET of snow over the course of a day or two..... At that time, all I had was a little 22" walkbehind snowthrower. That got old REAL fast, so, bought a snowblower, that came with a tractor...... In the years since, I used the tractor mounted feller maybe three times.... (and a couple of uses were 'just because I have it', not that I really needed it.) Got a 47 blower with my 445 a couple years back. I have mounted it on the tractor for the last few years, but, have never actually USED it. :D Not enough snow to bother with. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
FYI, I just read somewhere else that it may be necessary to swap your original axles into the new K57R as well. I can confirm this when I receive the new K57R, but it appears your original axles might be a bit longer than the ones in the new trans. Not a really big deal, especially if you are going to remove the cover to flip the swashplate. At that point, there are two slotted clips to remove and then the axles pull out.
They have spacers on them so I guess zI could makle new spacers if necessary. Video is good. , Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you to everyone for yopur help. This is what I have done:
I ordered the K57 from Surplus Center. I spoke with the people at Tuff Tork. Really great, very impressed. They said the K47 is a bolt in. They also said the forwards Backwards issue is a catch as catch can. Some are shipped one way and some are shipped the other way. you pays your money and takes your chances. So at least, thanks to Paul, I can go to a video and show to change the motor mount as they called it if need be. Will also need to swap the fan and pulley as far as which is on top. I can handle that. :) Hope it doesn't need to be direction swapped I really just want this done with. Now on to looking through the other forums and see what other treasures are in the site. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
220 Posts
Just be aware with altering the spacers to make the wheels fit; the tires may then rub on the frame or the fender. I'm not saying unequivocally that they will, just pay attention for it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts