My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I stumbled upon a posting on Craigslist for a Deere GX325, for $4,000. The owner said they purchased it from a dealership in 2003 (was this model made that year? they didn't specify if it was new or used when purchased). Kawasaki engine, 230 hours, bar tires on the rear. From the pictures, the tractor looks well maintained. They stated it was maintenanced at the proper times, washed and even waxed frequently.

My question is... how does this tractor compare to an X500? I'm not familiar with Deere's, we've been mowing our very steep hill and 2+ acres with our Ariens for 24 years.

We only need it to mow, but as stated, we need something heavy enough to do a STEEP hill, going up and down and part of it sideways. This is what we've been doing it with...

What is the GX325 considered anyway? Garden tractor? Lawn tractor? Light duty garden tractor (like the X500)?

This is the best pic they gave of the GX:

·
Super Moderator
16,351 Posts
GX325 would be a X540 without Power steering and without Diff/lock and the engine was air cooled But had Hydraulic lift. The last year of production for the GX325 was 2004 it was replaced By the GX255 which had power steering and a manual foot spring assist lift and was based on the GT245 frame. The GX325 would have been the start in the GX series model from Deere's middle of the Line Garden Tractors. The GX325 was made in 2003 & 2004 Before 2003 it was called the 325 which was made from 1995 until 2002. If that Ariens High Tech can handle your Hills the GX325 will be just fine for your Needs. Here are the GX325 specifications http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=G325DM&displayModelName=GX325 Garden Tractor&tM=HO&pNbr=SKU20720 Hope this gives you some Idea about the GX325. A very solid Garden tractor. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your response! Exactly what I was looking for. I have one more question... which would you do? This GX325 w/ snowblade for $4,000, or a new X500 when all is said and done being close to $6,000? Is $4,000 a good deal for that GX?

·
Super Moderator
16,351 Posts
Yes $4,000 is a fair Price for a 2003 GX325 with a 48inch blade and a 48inch deck.In excellent condition. Accoding to the Grounds Maintenance equipment Blue Book Between the two I would go with the GX325. Just for the Hydraulic lift. I have heard complaints from owner's with having to use the spring assist lift on the X500 with a 48inch blade. Once you have Hydraulic lift you will never want to go back to manual lift. I think you will be very happy with the GX325.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'll say this, we have little to no use for the snowblade. We have good sized snowblower that does the job in the wintertime just fine. We just need it for mowing, and want something reliable. Our Ariens has been great, but it's showing its age. I really liked the idea of a having a brand new one, and if I went used, did not want to go too old. The more I read this forum, the worse I seem to read about the X500... has Deere really slipped THAT much with their select series?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts