My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm not sure the best place to put this so I placed it here. Mod's please move to appropriate area if required.

So Yesterday I needed to pull a few steering wheels from some tractors to make use of one I got from Jared and because... well just being able to pull a steering wheel from any of my JD tractors with out damaging either the steering wheel or scratching the column is something I wanted to be able to do.

Being as how I am cheap-horses backside, I decided I would use some left over 1/4" Mild Steel scraps from other projects.

I started out by measuring the steering column and that is 1.5" in Diameter. Next I needed to know the widest circumference around the hub of the wheel to determine how wide I would need the piece of scrap to be. I measured 2.5" at the widest or thickest part of the steering wheel hub. With that information I set out to find a piece of scrap to fit the bill. I found the perfect piece "OK maybe not perfect but good enough" to get the job done.

I found the center of the scrap piece and center punched a divot to use for drawing out the circles. Then I marked an inner circle for the steering column radius 1/8" over sized for wiglge room and errors followed by an outer circle for the wheel hub. Then marked two straight lines so I could cut out the area that will slide around the steering wheel column and under the wheel itself.

Next I marked and center punched two spots wide enough for two puller bolts to just fit outside the steering wheel hub. I am going to be using this plate along with a OEM Gear Puller I use to pull flywheels off of the motors.

Once I had the plate all laid out and marked for cutting and drilling I went to town. It went pretty smooth and once the cutting and drilling was done I tapped the holes for 5/16 NC18 threads. I put it to use right away thinking it might bend if one of the wheels is on pretty good and stubborn. Sure enough the first wheel I used it on caused it to bend. So I had a back up plan anticipating this. I beat on it with a steel mallet on the anvil base of my bench vise to make it straight again and welded on some more scrap pieces I had laying around. This added some strength to the plate by using right angles around the outside to stiffen it up a bit. It's not perfect but in a hurry it's a lot better than nothing and a little flat black paint should make it look half decent.

Pictures will explain the rest.

Attachments

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL I thought about producing these but thought that there is probably something Chinese made already out there that would work just as good at a better price than I could offer. I would think If I made a bundle of these I could probably get em made unfinshed “no paint” for $15+$hipping. Haven’t really done the math.

Edit: thank you for the nice compliment PA. :)

If any one just has to have one of these send me a PM.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess $15.00 is too much lol.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you northbama

·
Banned
107 Posts
I've mounted a 5/8" flange bearing for the top end of the steering shaft to a metal plate just below the plastic consul. Made the steering smooth and not all wobbly like it was before.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ northbama, I have a couple more not listed in my sig. The list is up to 3x 317's 3x 140's a 314 and a F935.

Only a couple of them run and none are restored. So basically all work horses that I don't have to worry about getting dirty or sitting outside. I should probably start thinning the lot. Recently in the last yearI have come accross several good deals that were to hard to say no too. You could say I have Deere Fever.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've mounted a 5/8" flange bearing for the top end of the steering shaft to a metal plate just below the plastic consul. Made the steering smooth and not all wobbly like it was before.
I have never experienced a wobbly steering on one of these from the column not being securely mounted.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am going to make a batch of 5 to see how long it takes and one of them is already sold.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the funny thing is I'm using an American designed and Chinese built welder and I will be buying some chines punches later today to number these starting with 1

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I made version 2 earlier today. What do ya'll think does it look more better? In the last two pictures you can see how I used a mirror to make sure I had adequate clearance around the steering column.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Smalljob

I can get these shipped out the door to any one in the lower 48 for a total of $22.20

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shipping went up today. Post office always jacking up the prices. New price $23.00 shipped.

·
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh trust me I am loosing my but on these lol. Just doing a few and learning from them. I'm interested in the feedback from the three that shipped out today.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Received my puller last night. EXCELLENT quality. Looking forward to giving it a try when the weather warms up.

Thanks N2 !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts