My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read multiple post regarding g something similar but no one seems to post what the final repair solution was.
I have a John Deere GT 235 early 2000 model, that has had starting issues. While trying to start it, I do not get a click or anything. I have replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition switch/module, battery, battery wiring, voltage regulator, and alternator. Still, absolutely nothing. PLEASE HELP.....

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Do you have a test light and volt meter?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The cheap test lights and volt meters are fine.

I have a 30 year old MAC and fancy newer Snap On with volt meter and reverse polarity green light. I still grab the old MAC first. I remember my dad taking a regular flashlight and making one with wire and a couple nails for probes in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
You can get a cheap test light that is actually fairly decent at Harbor Freight...and a multi meter....also...but I don't like theirs..they used to give them away...I like this one
start by checking the voltage at the post with the red cable at the starter..you can see IF you have voltage with a test light...you need the multi meter to determine how much voltage is making it to that point

·
Administrator
21,483 Posts
Look at my signature line. There is a link to a you-tube video on using a multi-meter to check starting issues. As Mark said, make sure there is power, starting at the battery, make sure the ground is viable, power to the solenoid from battery, power from switch to small pole on solenoid, etc..... The video will walk you thru. Keep on posting your findings here. You'll get plenty of help as long as your descriptions are clear and you answer the questions that the members ask.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sounds like you don't have the brake on when trying to start, or the brake switch is bad, or or connection or wiring to it, or you have the pto switch on, or bad connection or wiring to that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone, in a few weeks when I'm back at mother's I'll check those items out along with the multimeter/test light. Hopefully we can get this resolved. And I'll make sure to post the end result once I find the culpert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts