My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing with the idea of garden tractor pulling with my 1986 John Deere 420. She is pretty heavy. On the down side it has a hydrostatic transmission. So not the prefered tranny. Yesterday, told the wife I was going to hook onto her work car and try to pull it. Just to see what the tractor could do and how good the transmission was. She wasn't thrilled about it.:fing20: The car was in park and emergency brake set. Tightened up the chain and let it go. I could nudge the car a little and rock it but the tires left rubber on the driveway. The hydro transmission didn't stall out. My sister asked me if any of the neighbors were watching.:eek:mg: She said they might call someone to haul me away for not being right. I explained what I was doing was practicing.:greendr: Wife did video me trying to pull the car. Here is a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eo41sLWvAo
Somtimes you got to do what you got to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to try with the tractor in the privacy of my own place.:sidelaugh

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
I wanted to try with the tractor in the privacy of my own place.:sidelaugh
How much "Privacy" do you have with the neighbors looking on.. :duh:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just don't want to go to the sled line and look real bad on trying to pull a sled with an unproven tractor. The neighbors just don't understand.:rauch10:

·
16,682 Posts
It's fine--We understand.....
Please lay on the couch here--take a couple deep breaths and tell us why you have this aggressive streak--this ache for action...the smell of burning rubber...
was it because you never had a pony to love when you were small??

You can talk to us....
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in metropolis, USA. No dirt or old car hoods near by so did next best. lol:biglaugh:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You need some weights on those wheels. And by the way, a spinning wheel has already broken traction, so there's no point in letting it continue to spin.

Since you have suburbia to practice in, a more realistic test would be pull your wife down the road and heve her gradually apply the brakes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Not that this would have mattered much cuz you were trying to pull a car with the brake on and in park, BUT it would have gotten a lot better traction with turf tires. You could've left a lot more rubber on the driveway. I know this to be true, because I have a nut loose too. :fing32:

·
Registered
29 Posts
how about the ole gravelys are they great or good pullin tractors does anyone have any info on these tractors the bug has hit me mine is 1987
pro16-g 4 speed with hi and low rear engine kohler magnum 16 opposed twin
has anyone used one or know anyone who has is the rear end open or limited slip etc

any help would be awesome ive searched and searched

DSL DOC

[email protected]

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
...... a spinning wheel has already broken traction, so there's no point in letting it continue to spin.
He was just sharpening the edges of the tire lugs :biglaugh:

That is a more practical test, pull against someone who gradually applies the brakes, but you can't get a quantitative result of how much your pulling against.

Good luck, looks like fun, anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
It might have some merit if you wanted to know if it could pull the Buick in neutral brake off if anyone ever needed help but WTF...........

·
Super Moderator
34,485 Posts
Reminds me of something I heard years ago, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" You need to pick a smaller vehicle to drag, start with a Yugo, then gradually increase the size and weight until you again just sit and spin!

Come on guys don't tell him I'm just joking!!!!:praying:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Mama always said ......stupid is what stupid does.
Lol Lol:sidelaugh :

1 - 20 of 24 Posts