My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting around pondering... (dangerous) and poking around the internet (even more dangerous).... what do I come across? A John Deere F910 and a John Deere LX178..... that will be in an auction this coming Saturday. The LX178 is certainly worth a look see. But the F910 is interesting. I do not know a whole lot about them. I do know that it has either the B48G Onan or the P220 Onan, both a positive plus the crankshaft is the same size as what I need for a 420 or 318. So lots-o-usable parts. Or fix it up and sell it. Since I am already headed there to look at the 178 I figure I might as well look at the F910 at minimum just for the engine. I have been able to learn enough about the 178 through MTF that I am good to go there, but the f910 is a little bit of a black box. My questions are:

1) Is there really a market for the front mount mowers like this or are they kind of a novelty. I know a couple of members on here have them and they certainly look cool in the pictures. But looking cool in the pictures and selling are two different things.
2) If there is a market, anyone want to volunteer what I might pay or expect to get out of it. According to the auctioneer the F910 has ~1200 hours on it.

I might have some more questions as I progress forward in my research.

·
Three of my friends
8,998 Posts
Kyle,there are a number of that type mower from F 525 -F900 and that is what I am looking for next,they are rare and not new but still work real good,people that have them really like them but they are for larger yards,some are used on golf courses.It should have up to 72 inch deck and if the one you are looking at is not completely worn out it would be nice to have but you would probably have to work on it yourself because of the complicated drive train.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I think the resale market would be limited. Most people that need a mower like that have enough money to buy a new one and have their gardener do the cutting.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kyle,there are a number of that type mower from F 525 -F900 and that is what I am looking for next,they are rare and not new but still work real good,people that have them really like them but they are for larger yards,some are used on golf courses.It should have up to 72 inch deck and if the one you are looking at is not completely worn out it would be nice to have but you would probably have to work on it yourself because of the complicated drive train.
This one appears.... to have a 60 inch deck. Which presents some logistical challenges. I did a little more reading on them last night. They certainly are cool but functionality for me remains to be seen so it would certainly be a flip or parts (read Kyle really likes Onan engines). I really want to hear the Onan in it. If the engine is running well I might buy it for what I would pay for a B48G or P220.... not like it will only go for that but its a thought.

Looking at the LX178 pictures again I think it will need a new hood so my bid on that might be low as well.

I knew the F-series existed but I have never seen many for sale. Funny though, this is the second F910 that has come up at an auction in the last month.

I think the resale market would be limited. Most people that need a mower like that have enough money to buy a new one and have their gardener do the cutting.
That is what I am quickly determining. :)

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I thought about buying one and doing some major reengineering and turning it into a smaller version of a Pro-Gator. I was mostly after the hydraulics for a hyd dump bed. You should go to the JD parts site and browse the parts book for that unit. Pretty interesting stuff.

ETA - I totally agree on your $$$ limit. Just what you think the motor is worth.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about buying one and doing some major reengineering and turning it into a smaller version of a Pro-Gator. I was mostly after the hydraulics for a hyd dump bed. You should go to the JD parts site and browse the parts book for that unit. Pretty interesting stuff.

ETA - I totally agree on your $$$ limit. Just what you think the motor is worth.
I did that a little last night when I was looking at the crankshaft specs for the engine. I did find that if it is a later one it has a locking differential. I am doing lots of part comparisons to the 318/420 seeing what I have or what it has.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a F910 . Just love it. Has the 18 Hp Onan. Never had any problems. It has a 60in. deck and a 46in. snowblower. Both work great for me.
Does have the differential lock by holding the pedel down.And power steering .
Paid $1800.00 for it 4 years ago/ with deck and blower.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I am with Biker on this one as for next project,a Kawasaki powered version like an F725.Buddy of mine picked up one at an auction a few years ago for next to nothing and he loves it.I would have to buy it right,a fixer upper,so if after a summer of mowing with it I could bail if need be.But I have a feeling if I ever did find one it would be hard to let it go.There was a decent 725 on e-bay this past winter for a good price,but it was way too far away.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Orr bigger :duh: I haven't even figured out the GT numbers yet! I just need to stay out of these posts :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The F935 is a little larger than the F910, from what I am finding the F910 generally came with a 60 inch deck and there a varing reports of 18 or 20 HP Onans. The F935 generally came with a 72 inch deck and has a 22 hp yanmar. I am unsure about the frame size. I think I might rent the trailer and head down there on Sat just to see... the 60 inch deck requires a trailer and I really have place to put a trailer so renting it is or two trips, one for the deck and one for the mower.......

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the auction was certainly low priced on everything but the John Deere mowers...... My quick assessment on the F910 found a leaky front axle and very dirty b48g engine, and lots o smoke on start up.... And a tick over 1200 hours. Sold for $1900.... Ummm no thank you! And the lx188 completely busted hood and very dirty engine sold for $700 to a guy that was happy as a clam to get it.......

So that enabled me to buy all kinds of crap and fill up the back of the truck for 190 bucks. I will post some pictures tonight probably the best item is a very nice Baldor 7312 grinder with lighted eye shields I grabbed for 120 :)

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Nice :thumbup: always good to get a bed full of crap lol now from no grinder to two

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the F910 and really like it.

They aren't for everybody. The rear steering throws some people off (not literally). It drives like a sit down style fork lift, meaning the back end swings around. For the money most people will opt for a newer style zero turn mower. My uncle purchased it at an auction and had a hard time selling it, primarily due to it's length. They also had the hydraulic bias valve set wrong so people couldn't figure out how to work the deck lift.

I bought mine for a few reasons. It was the same money as a 318, however it's much larger and heavier, for me is a benefit. The deck is obviously outfront so I can put it between the supports of my deck and under trees like I'm using a very large push mower. Since you don't drive over the grass before you mow it there is less matted down too. The independent brakes makes it function like a zero turn for the most part, just has a big back end. The differential lock is wonderful when it's wet out, used it a lot yesterday. I think it's biggest issue is the fact that it looks funky, I looked at it a couple of times before I bought it.

I don't have room for a tractor and can't afford to spend the thousands of dollars on the smaller tractors so when I found the F910 it was a very good combo. I have a blade for it as well as the deck. I plan on making a few other attachments for it.

What really sold me on it was that there are grease zerks everywhere! :congrats:

The F910 came with B48, LX770, P218G, and P220G's. Mine is the LX770.

It is frustrating to find information on it but I am restoring it none the less. I'll keep that thing forever.

I see your in Iowa, I live in the southeast tip of Iowa, you can take mine for a spin if you wanted to come by.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Frank, after seeing this one they look like they would be a lot of fun. There were several of us there specifically for the f910, after the auction I talk to a couple folks and they all were thinking the same price as me, between 750-1100. in fact a couple of us chuckled when he opened bidding the first time at 2500, I know you open it high but gesh, that is a bid extreme. But I am happy got lots of good eBay, garage sale, and goodwill junk.

If I find another one at a sale I might take you up on The offer, thanks! I am up in Ames

·
Registered
46 Posts
The motor blew up on the F910. Replaced it with the Honda GX630QAF. Wow, it's so much better now. I didn't have anything against the Onan but am not a big believer in them either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The F935 is a little larger than the F910, from what I am finding the F910 generally came with a 60 inch deck and there a varing reports of 18 or 20 HP Onans. The F935 generally came with a 72 inch deck and has a 22 hp yanmar. I am unsure about the frame size. I think I might rent the trailer and head down there on Sat just to see... the 60 inch deck requires a trailer and I really have place to put a trailer so renting it is or two trips, one for the deck and one for the mower.......
The varying reports of the 18 HP or 20 HP stems from John Deere claims it was a 20 HP motor but the manufacturer Onan/Linamar claims it is 18 HP.

The deck comes off relatively easy and can be stood up if necessary, it is heavy but I flip mine on it's side from time to time and I can do it by myself without making new curse words.

I know these posts are older but the F900/F1100 info is sparse so I hope this may help somebody else.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The varying reports of the 18 HP or 20 HP stems from John Deere claims it was a 20 HP motor but the manufacturer Onan/Linamar claims it is 18 HP.

The deck comes off relatively easy and can be stood up if necessary, it is heavy but I flip mine on it's side from time to time and I can do it by myself without making new curse words.

I know these posts are older but the F900/F1100 info is sparse so I hope this may help somebody else.
It did help. When a low priced F935 popped up on CL less than 30 minutes from my house I jumped on it based on the positive experiences people on this forum have shared. There is a lot to be said for these machines and mine mows great. I am in the middle of fixing it up and plan to start a new thread in the Spring when it is done.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The motor blew up on the F910. Replaced it with the Honda GX630QAF. Wow, it's so much better now. I didn't have anything against the Onan but am not a big believer in them either.
Onan's are definitely one of those engines that you can pick sides on :fing32: Glad to hear the repower turned out well.

IIRC the F910 I started this thread with was powered by a B48G. That particular mower was shot and needed a ton-o-work. I did not even get a chance to bid on it.

I keep looking for one, and occasionally I see one that is interesting but nothing really ever pans out right. There was an F910 FREE on CL (bad engine), that lasted all of a couple hours. Whoever picked it up tried to sell parts, then tried to sell the mower itself $800... not sure what happened to it. I will find one one day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,
i would need also a little help with my new project, an John Deere F910, i get got it because is was to expensive to repair for the old owner.
the engine hve an broken con-rod and so i got it in parts.
i have bought an good Onan P220G for replace, also i have ordered an crank-adapter for the PTO-clutch. the flange for the extern oilfilter is mountet also.
now i would need some detail pictures from the electric PTO clutch because i think there must be a spring everywhere, also i found a hanging spring on the bottom, so please send me a lot of pics from under side and all what would be importand,
many thank's,
Bernd

1 - 20 of 37 Posts