My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 318, very happy with it. I've been told the diesels are fuel misers. I'm thinking about moving to a diesel.
Because I have a 318 the logic choice would be a 330 or 332. Attachments should all be the same. I would though consider a 430 or 455 if you guys think the extra size and abilities could justify the extra money. My main usage would be mowing about 1.5 acres of grass. Next up would be blowing snow from a middle to large size driveway. Third would be moving a bit of dirt or gravel occasionally. Lastly I may eventually get a tiller...not because I have a garden, but because I can.

So first off, are the bigger tractors worth the extra money or would the 300 series diesels be just the ticket.
Secondly, what are the differences between a 330 and a 332 besides the age.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this and possibly reply.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are correct, the Yanmar diesel is a fuel miser. I own a commercial mowing service and use JD 420's and 455 diesels. The 455s use about 50% less fuel thasn the gas powered 420s while doing the same amount of mowing.

I had a 332 15 years ago, it was a fantastic machine. If you have the implements for that model then I would say to find one of them.

The 420/430 has a two speed transaxle, they are much faster than the 332 or 455. But that might be the only advantage to you, and i never really liked the 430 for mowing purposes because the front snout sticks out so far due to the radiator housing....just increases the amount of trim work.

A 455 will probably cost 1500 or so bucks more than the 332, and of course the implements will run up a bill too. For 1.5 acre the 332 option might be he better choice money wise. I will say though, the 455 is MUCH more comfortable and easier to operate, at least for mowing grass. I don't use any implements at all with any of my machines, I just mow grass with them so I can't comment on the cost or ease of use with them for any of the above mentioned machines.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
What do you have in the way of implements right now? Any 3PH or sleeve hitch stuff can of course carry over to either the 332 or 455.

ALZwelding.com has a thing called a frame squeezer that would let you use your 300 series blade on the 400 series.

Good luck with your decision, but you need to act fast as my "free haul-away of unwanted 318s" ends this month.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee, even free that would be an expensive haul away for you...lol
But still worth it!

I have no 3 pt hitch on my tractor, all front mount attachments.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Gee, even free that would be an expensive haul away for you...lol
But still worth it!

I have no 3 pt hitch on my tractor, all front mount attachments.
Hey, good excuse to visit the Great White North - I'm closer now than I've ever been. Might even enjoy a Cubano while I'm up there.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
JD DIESELS ROCK , no matter what series or model !!! :cool:

Later,x595

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D-Dogg, you'd love it up here....mowing is fun, but moving snow is a lot more fun!

X595...I'd love one, they have one at work here, works and sounds awesome. It would be a little out of budget though...

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Biggest difference you'll notice between the 330/332 and the 430/455 is horsepower. The 3-- series is rated at 16hp, which would give you about 12 PTO hp, and the 4-- series has 22hp, which would give you about 16 PTO. For mowing and such, maybe not that important, but for ground engaging work and tilling, it will make a difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got a 318 that I'm restoring right now and I know it's a keeper, but I'm with you on the 332. I want a 3 series diesel in a bad way and I've found several 330's but not one single 332 yet, at least not in my area. The 4 dealers within my 50 mile radius have total sales records of 75 units (332's) sold which is miniscule compared to the number of gas burners of similar vintage available. I'm busily trying to get them to run them down for me but so far no luck. As it is, I'm about to close on a Cub 1572SGT with the 16hp Kubota diesel, but I really, really want a JD 332. Good luck with your search and if you happen to run across a 30 hydraulic tiller, they are the berries and they are getting scarce, but they are the ultimate tiller for JD"s of that vintage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Can somebody in the know touch on the difference between the 330 and the 332.....thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
power steering and 2 spools of hydraulics on the 332

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
330 has no power steering? And I'm assuming 1 spool of hydraulics....

332 it will be then. Unless a 430 comes along for a real good price.

The way tractors are around here. Should only take a couple years to find one...lol

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
330 has no power steering? And I'm assuming 1 spool of hydraulics....

The way tractors are around here. Should only take a couple years to find one...lol
You got it right on the 330, and 332. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A fellow Canadian looking for a 332. I just sold my mint 318, because it was just eye candy when I bought my SECOND 332. I love the sound of the yanmar diesel and as others have already commented, the diesels just sip the fuel.Torque of the diesels also is nice when using the tiller or blower in the winter.Found that the diesels start easier than the 318 also.Randy in Saskatchewan.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Randy...
That's quite a list of toys you have there. The 332's are hard to come by around here. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for yours and did you get it local.....thanks
Steve

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
blueorrfan there are 2-332's on MachineFinder right now in Canada , both
1988 models , 1.) 1479 hrs. 50" deck , 42" hydraulic tiller , 2.) 600 hrs. ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One's in Saskatchewan, the other Alberta...
Best case scenario for me to driva nd pick them up would be about 30-35 hours....lol

One Way!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts