My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All!

I have recently started getting into my making my Deere John 300 workable again. But I’ve run into a roadblock! I can’t seem to figure out how to get the key to start the unit! I have to gap the solenoid with a wrench between the POS and NEG to get it to crank. It won’t crank with a key turn! I have changed the fuse/relay, starter solenoid. What is the next part to change? Or does the starter just need some percussive maintenance? Thanks for the help in advance

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Time for a test light and a picture where you are placing wrench, sounds scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
OK, No longer confused...err, as far as your tractor!
Pretty basic wiring. Found this online:

This schematic is not exactly for your, but I can't find the later serial number wiring. Yours is a '77 and schematic is for a '75 or '76. There shouldn't be too much difference though!
Hopefully, you have a multimeter and know how to use it, cuz that's your next step!

Check neutral safety switch for 12 volts when in Neutral and key is turned to "Start". If 12 volts there, check for 12 volts at solenoid.

Check and report findings here. If you don't have a meter, get one...even an el cheapo from box store (Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.). If you don't know how to use it, tells us model of meter and we'll explain. Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts