My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering what all is involved in doing a 12 volt swap in a John Deere B model tractor. My father in law owns this tractor and he says that it isn't keeping the battery charged anymore, and with the battery dead, and probably needing a new generator anyways, he figured that it would be best when to just swap it over to 12 volt.

He doesn't plan on selling it anytime soon, or ever...so it's not like he's worried about the value of it or anything, it just seems like it would be better with a 12 volt system if he's planning on using much.

Can anyone give me any insight on what we have to do to get this thing changed over? I appreciate all the help and info ahead of time...

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any input? I'm sure that at least one person's done this. Can anyone give me any kind of advice to doing this?

Matt

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The simplest way is to install a single wire self energizing delco alternator. You may need to fabricate a mounting bracket, but it should be fairly simple. If you have lights, you need to convert to 12 volt bulbs. The starter is fine as is. You will need to reverse the wires on the ammeter for negative ground. That should do it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it? I thought that it was alot more invlolved. Thanks for the help and reply. Do you think it would be best to rewire the tractor? I'd say that it is, considering that they're 50+ years old, but is important when converting?

Thanks again for the reply. I'll be checking prices on the alternator soon.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts