My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've read this entire section of the forum. Used the search and googled myself numb. Anybody have any idea date of manufacture on a snowblower I just bought at an estate sale? It's a JD, marked "826", no "D" or "T" anywhere on it.
The serial number on the lower left back of the frame is M00826X599751. It also says "Deere and Company, Moline Illinois." The engine is yellow and stickered JD, but is stamped HM80, which I learned is an 8hp Tecumseh. It has an electric start hook up , but just spins and buzzes, not engaging. The carb has the old style adjustable jet on the bottom of the bowl, and no bowl drain button. It primed on 3 pushes and actually fuel spilled out somewhere near the carb. One pull with the choke fully on, and she was running. Choke off and throttle up (on the handlebar deck) and it runs like a champ.
Reading some posts there was supposedly good and bad years of this model, just trying to narrow the year down. Any thoughts? It is in my avatar, but I can snap a few more closer pics if that would help somebody pick a date.
Love the site and appreciated the welcomes, BTW.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The front looks like maybe a late 70s Ariens built.

Maybe 1979 based on what looks like a 1978 engine.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys, I've got a carb rebuild kit in hand and have a new muffler on order.
New fuel line is snaked through as well as primer tube (found where the leak was).
I found 1 service manual on e-scam for $43. Anybody have any ideas where I could find one online. I can fudge my way through without the manual at $43.
I located the engine service manual here (thank you simple john), as well as ID'd the carb info from the small engine sticky. Or maybe someone could walk me through what I need to be aware of in the auger gearbox. It has an access nut on top. Is there oil or grease in there? If you can't tell, this is my first 2 stage blower! Thanks for any tips in advance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You might get more response over at the discussion forum on this site:
http://www.opeonthenet.com/

There doesn't seem to be much activity in the snowblower section here, though it isn't really snow season yet.

This guy has a great site about old Ariens machines. Page 10 has a brief excerpt of John Deeres too. Judging by the John Deer info on this site, yours might be made by Bolens.
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/Ariens/index.html

Some snowblowers use grease in the front gearcase and some use oil. Yours probably has some kind of SAE 90 gear oil. I just put some 80w90 regular differential oil in my Ariens.

Does yours have grease fittings on the front augers? The sheer bolts look pretty old so they might be rusted on there. If you pull the sheer pins out, the front augers should spin freely. If they don't they are probably rusted to the front shaft and that isn't good. If you hit something (like a rock or something), the sheer pins are suppose to snap and allow the shaft to keep turning to prevent damage to the gear case. Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to free them pretty easy and you might not.

The real problem with John Deere is there have been so many different companies making them that it can be hard to tell who built it.

I just noticed you mentioned that the electric start just free spins and never engages. Maybe you are lucky and the gear is just rusted/gummed to the starter. If you drop the starter you might be able to free it up with some PB Blaster or something and give it some oil and make it work again. Not sure if that would be a priority for you or not, I always thought of 120v starters as more trouble then they are worth. They might be good for some people, but it would take me more time to get a cord and plug it in than it would to just pull it.

The other thing you should do is pull the belt cover and check both belts to make sure they are in decent shape, and pull the bottom cover and check the friction disc to be sure it isn't cracked or covered in oil.

The friction disc is the little rubber wheel that moves back and forth and rubs on the metal disc. This is basically your transmission.

While you have the bottom open it would be a good idea to oil and grease all the moving parts. Look over the whole machine and make sure to squirt plenty of grease on any grease fittings you find. Also check out any moving parts to see if any bearings are in bad shape. A lot of snowblowers have bushings instead of bearings for the low speed parts and those wear out too, so check for lots of slop or movement in things.

The funny looking hub on the one tire looks to be some kind of differential lock. You should be able to push it in to lock both tires together for better traction or pull it out to make them act more like a differential and allow easier turning.

Youtube has lots of maintenance/service videos so just search for some stuff. Most snowblowers are basically the same internally, so you can probably find a similar setup as yours. This guy has some decent videos up if you want to check some out. Most of his snowblower stuff is back at the beginning of his postings so look back or search.
http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shryp, I found the donyboy videos when I was looking for a used 2 stage. He does make a lot of the stuff look pretty simple. The starter was indeed a little sticky in the shaft area. The little "floating" gear that shoots along the shaft was kinda hung up. I did the take down like in the video and wire wheeled the shaft and used a silicone low temp spray. I'm getting into the lower belly today.
The machine is an easy starter with the rope...now. Hopefully that will hold true when it's 20 degrees and blowing drifts! The augers do spin freely and the shear pins are free too. They are pins, held in with cotter pins, not bolts. Don't know if that is the stock setup or not. The local JD "dealer" had so many complaints, it's now a motorcycle dealer. They no longer have any JD computer software or manuals. Will keep at it, have a few weeks until the white stuff flies around here. Appreciate the comments and links.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somewhat of an update. I did receive an email from JD indicating this is a 1989 JD built machine. I have made some progress on cleaning it up and am trying to figure out a way to get the temp up in my garage to put a couple coats of paint on it. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Regards, JT.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That looks pretty close to my 1979 John Deere 832. I'll post pics of mine in the next couple of days. I think mine might be made by Ariens as my chute looks similar to the one on the blower pictured in the Sept 1979 ad on pg 10 of the Ariens snowblower info site.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Update on the John Deere-Ariens snowblower connection..

I now believe the information I had on my page about the JD snowblowers built by Bolens is incorrect..I dont believe any were ever built by Bolens.

All JD snowblowers were actually built by JD until 1991.
So anything before 1991 is "A John Deere built by John Deere"..
not Bolens or Ariens or anyone else..

Between 1991 and 2001, JD snowblowers were built by both Ariens and Murray.

The JD badged machines built by Ariens machines are considered fine..wholesome Ariens quality.

But the JD badged machines built by Murray are considered about the worst thing to ever wear JD green:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5696171_problems-john-deere-snowblower.html

According to that poster, the 1990's JD snowblower models TRS and TRX are the Murray models..

We have one confirmed Ariens built machine, that has a "MO" prefix on the model number..im not yet sure of all the model numbers for the Ariens-built machines..(I dont yet fully understand JD model numbers!)

So..based what we know so far..if its a 1990's JD snowblower with a "MO" at the start of the serial number, its an Ariens..

If the model number has a TRX or a TRD in it, its a Murray..

Here is the Ariens machine:

As far as I know, those are the only Ariens-built JD snowblowers..1991 to 2001..
and the Murrays were also built during that same time..

Im not sure who built JD snowblowers after 2001..today, and for the last several years, they have part of the Briggs & Stratton line, and are considered high quality again..

I havent updated my Ariens page with all this info yet..but im getting to it soon.

Scot

·
Registered
82 Posts
opps..
"MO" at the front must not mean Ariens..
because the older JD-built machines also have MO at the start of the number..

So perhaps the "DX" would indicate Ariens..
but as I said, I dont fully understand JD model/serial numbers!
they are quite cryptic..

and there is still no relaible way to date a JD snowblower, that I know of..
except for the Tecumseh engine tag..but that only tells you the decade..
the machine at the top of this thread could be a 1978 or 1988..its hard to know which.

Scot

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Update on the John Deere-Ariens snowblower connection..

I now believe the information I had on my page about the JD snowblowers built by Bolens is incorrect..I dont believe any were ever built by Bolens.

All JD snowblowers were actually built by JD until 1991.
So anything before 1991 is "A John Deere built by John Deere"..
not Bolens or Ariens or anyone else..

Between 1991 and 2001, JD snowblowers were built by both Ariens and Murray.

The JD badged machines built by Ariens machines are considered fine..wholesome Ariens quality.

But the JD badged machines built by Murray are considered about the worst thing to ever wear JD green:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5696171_problems-john-deere-snowblower.html

According to that poster, the 1990's JD snowblower models TRS and TRX are the Murray models..

We have one confirmed Ariens built machine, that has a "MO" prefix on the model number..im not yet sure of all the model numbers for the Ariens-built machines..(I dont yet fully understand JD model numbers!)

So..based what we know so far..if its a 1990's JD snowblower with a "MO" at the start of the serial number, its an Ariens..

If the model number has a TRX or a TRD in it, its a Murray..

Here is the Ariens machine:

As far as I know, those are the only Ariens-built JD snowblowers..1991 to 2001..
and the Murrays were also built during that same time..

Im not sure who built JD snowblowers after 2001..today, and for the last several years, they have part of the Briggs & Stratton line, and are considered high quality again..

I havent updated my Ariens page with all this info yet..but im getting to it soon.

Scot
that looks like a twin to the one I got in a trade this past summer; supposed to only be 2 years old and used 2X; even if it is a lil older and used a couple more times (its condition backs up the claim to its age)
I traded an old Grasshopper ZTR for it;
I have not looked up the numbers yet but I am curious for sure taht it is what it claims; and yes it does look quite Ariens-ish; except for thr green and yellow.
I have not seen many snowblowers that have a cast iron gearcase (most are aluminum with a "waffle" contour) and it also has; are you ready for this; GREASE FITTINGS! on a snowblower; that is also a quite unusual sight to see.
the guy I got it from claimed that his Dad had paid like $1300 for it;
it IS an "826 D"; and it can't be very old, as the carb has no mixture screws:banghead3:banghead3 like the older ones did, and the control panel/headlite mount is plastic unlike the late 80s version pictured above which is steel (well, sheet metal; but certainly not plastic).

I didn't have the serial numbers from the machine with me when I was there, but one day I stopped by the local JD dealer and they said that considering the current models this 828D is "between" 2 current models, which were priced at $1100 and $1350 respectively.

You say Ariens is now part of Breaks&Scatters; well this 828D definitely has a TECUMSEH engine on it; does that necessarily mean it is "older" than it was claimed, given the recent history of Tecumseh company? or did they have "that many" 8HP Snow Kings collecting dust in a warehouse that they were able to continue to supply them up til 2 years ago? IIRC wasnt it like 3-4 years ago when Tecumseh folded?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You say Ariens is now part of Breaks&Scatters; well this 828D definitely has a TECUMSEH engine on it; does that necessarily mean it is "older" than it was claimed, given the recent history of Tecumseh company? or did they have "that many" 8HP Snow Kings collecting dust in a warehouse that they were able to continue to supply them up til 2 years ago? IIRC wasnt it like 3-4 years ago when Tecumseh folded?
Don,
its John Deere snowblowers that are now owned/made by Briggs..not Ariens snowblowers..
Ariens is still Ariens...All Ariens snowblowers have always been made only by Ariens..JD is the one with the mixed parentage starting in 1991.

as for the age of your JD, its hard to say without seeing any photos..
if you have a chance to post some photos and the full model-serial number, we might be able to figure it out. :)

Tecumseh engines were used up to and including the 2009 model year, on probably 70% of all snowblowers, by all manufacturers..
In 2009 (two winters ago) everything was still "business as usual" when it came to Tecumseh engines on snowblowers..
2010 model year machines (last winter) were the first without Tecumseh.
We are now in the second model year (2011) without Tecumseh.
so it would be perfectly normal and reasonable for a 2-year old machine to have a Tecumseh engine..

Scot

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Don,
its John Deere snowblowers that are now owned/made by Briggs..not Ariens snowblowers..
Ariens is still Ariens...All Ariens snowblowers have always been made only by Ariens..JD is the one with the mixed parentage starting in 1991.

as for the age of your JD, its hard to say without seeing any photos..
if you have a chance to post some photos and the full model-serial number, we might be able to figure it out. :)

Tecumseh engines were used up to and including the 2009 model year, on probably 70% of all snowblowers, by all manufacturers..
In 2009 (two winters ago) everything was still "business as usual" when it came to Tecumseh engines on snowblowers..
2010 model year machines (last winter) were the first without Tecumseh.
We are now in the second model year (2011) without Tecumseh.
so it would be perfectly normal and reasonable for a 2-year old machine to have a Tecumseh engine..

Scot
thanks; and I fired it up today for the 1st time since the day I brought it home which was a 90* summer day; it surged hi/low--hi/low--hi/low til it warmed up totally and then it smoothed out; IDK the age of the fuel in the tank because it was not put there by me.... but it runs on it.... may be too late but I added some STA BIL to it while I had it going today.

Mine does not have the model/serial number tag where I usually see them on a Deere blower; I may have to pull the covers off and see if they "hiod" one to protect it from the weather; there is no scratches, glue residue etc to indicate taht someone removed the ID sticker; but it IS an "828D"
and the decal on the engine shows taht it meets emissions specs for 1995-99; the engine DOM is 9130 so I'm thinking my machine is a 1999 not "only 2 years old" as the guy I got it from claimed; but going by condition, I have seen some that were only 2 yrs old and in worse condition; considering how much $$ that I had tied up in that Grasshopper ZTR I traded for it, even if it is 10-11 years old, I can't complain...... I could sell it (but I won't) and make out like a bandit.
Considering the last few years my snow equip went from a 97 Dodge 4WD with an 8-1/2' blade to (2) Sears Subarbans with snowblowers to (1) Suburban and this Deere, considering the amount of use they recieve (the Suburbans have been kept around solely for snow blowing duty) and the percentage of the year I need a snowblower, this Deere takes up less space during the 9 months or so it becomes a dust collector than do the Suburbans.... I'd like to send the other Suburban down the road too, but since it is my son's and he has put the $$ into it rather than me, I guess it stays for now.....

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, folks, here's some updated pics of my JD 826 project. Cool thing is it started right up and runs great. Lost a few decals do to rust under them and they went to the wire wheel graveyard:crybaby: New bushings all around, tires, carb kit and belts. Pics don't show the heater box and directional crank installed, but they are now. Just waiting on snow. A little before and after for your Sunday viewing.:trink39:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts