My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing research on this machine I found several posts (on other forums using Google) about front end gear and housing issues. (Gears breaking and housing cracking under heavy use) I am interested if this is true or not.

It is possible one person had a bad experience and created a bunch of user accounts to bash JD and the 790.

I also have seen that the 3005 the 790 Replacement has a beefer front axle to remedy this issue.

If you own a 790 or know the facts on this please let us know.

Thank you

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Ben,

I have heard nothing of this and suspect there are just some people that can break anything, but we'll let our 790 owners chime in. :)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I've never heard of it either. There are going to be some failures in any piece of equipment, that just happens. On the other hand, some people can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet too. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have heard it a few times, but when you press the issue you find improper ballast (not enough) used with the FEL, and/or using MFWD (4WD) on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have heard it a few times, but when you press the issue you find improper ballast (not enough) used with the FEL, and/or using MFWD (4WD) on hard surfaces.
I have a 790 and this post is a good observation.

Our's sees little loader work, mainly a woods tractor twitching logs but the guys do load the bucket up and she goes over desperate tough terrain, no issues.

I bought this tractor used, it was and still is mint but it was impulse, for the work we do, hydro is the only way to go....like everything I own, once I have it even though there are better options, I tend to keep it anyhow.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am not aware of any front end issues and have owned a 790 for several years, its a great tractor.

Having been a member of this and other tractor sites for years we occasionally get the I hate JD and I bought this tractor and it was poorly designed or broke messages. Most of them are BS.

Having worked around and owned several tractor thru the years I believe often people buy the wrong tractor for the job and when it fails they get ******. Most CUTs are equipped with a FEL but are not designed for full time FEL work, it takes a serious tractor to move stone/dirt on a full time basis and Full time FEL work will wear out-beat up-trash the best of tractors.

Best Regards Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts