My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,581 Posts
How would you put pressure in line, can you get a regulator down around a couple of PSI, I would contact a dealer, and get specs on the pump (working PSI output) before anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How would you put pressure in line, can you get a regulator down around a couple of PSI, I would contact a dealer, and get specs on the pump (working PSI output) before anything.
Yeah, I’ll probably just pickup the lift pump, pull the tank, replace the lines and clean the tank, and go from there.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,581 Posts
You could cobble up something and hook it to the fuel tank fill neck, pull the cap, attach air hook up there. But keep the pressure very very very low, so you don't rupture lines or the tank and have a bigger problem. But be aware, that could blow the crap into the injection pump. Just to risky for my pocket book.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Considering what JD wants for that pump I would probably get a low pressure pump from amazon to troubleshoot with. Once you get it all worked out then you can go for the original lift pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I definitely plan to try the fuel pump first before even touching the injection pump, considering my fuel pump is gone so it’s a good place to start. On a side note, I’d like to try pressuring the line to the injection pump to see if the pump can start with fuel pressure. Do you think that there is anyway to do that before buying a new fuel pump? I’d rather not buy a $60 pump just to have it turn out that it wasn’t the problem and that I’m still screwed.
Ok. After waiting on the pump, I got it installed, bled the line to the filter element then bled the main line to the injectors. I have live fuel pumping to the injection pump with no air bubbles, however I still can’t get it to start. I even tried starter spray while turning the engine over (it’s diesel formulated spray so it’s ok), but it won’t run on that. At this point, I’m thinking either the injection pump is dead or the engine is. What do you suggest I do? Spend the money on the new pump and hope it works?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,581 Posts
I think you need to bleed to the injectors, do you know how to do that? Also, check your glow plugs are they working?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
  1. I think you need to bleed to the injectors, do you know how to do that? Also, check your glow plugs are they working?
    I actually fiddled with them on a whim after I messaged you and here’s what I came across. I cracked the injector lines at the pump, then cranked the motor over until fuel came out, then I did the same with the line actually at the injectors. I could only bleed one injector because I don’t have the right tools, but I got the motor to start smoking on every turn over, something it didn’t do before. I’m going to pickup the needed tools tomorrow and bleed all of them and see. Also, yes the glow plugs work and are brand new actually.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,581 Posts
Good, making some progress, just got to get it bleed correctly. Keep at it your are doing fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts

1. I actually fiddled with them on a whim after I messaged you and here’s what I came across. I cracked the injector lines at the pump, then cranked the motor over until fuel came out, then I did the same with the line actually at the injectors. I could only bleed one injector because I don’t have the right tools, but I got the motor to start smoking on every turn over, something it didn’t do before. I’m going to pickup the needed tools tomorrow and bleed all of them and see. Also, yes the glow plugs work and are brand new actually.
Any update on this? Were you able to fix this? What was the actual problem?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts