My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for one since I saw a 2 row this summer. The hopper is driven off the packer wheel in the rear instead of driveshafts from the gauge wheels. That makes it easy to adjust the row spacing. Friday I found someone that had a single assembly he would give me for a grape pie. He said he had a 4 row in the barn ready to go to the field but didn't want to sell it. He was afraid I would cut it up to make a two row. After a lot of talking and explaining I wouldn't cut it up he thought he might sell me two of the four rows. I couldn't get there until this week.

I talked to him Tuesday. After thinking about it over the weekend he decided to sell it. I asked him how much. As he was thinking, I thought $800. $500 would be nice since I have seen just the assemblies going for $175 each and a two row as high as $1,000. I was happy when he said $400. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning.

Now I can plant 2 rows with the same spacing. Doing them with the push planter I couldn't get them straight enough to have my 2 row cultvator close to both rows. It is going to be soooo nice.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Sounds great. I have one row IHC 295 that is set up for Cat 0. It is basically the same design as the JD 71. IH copied it pretty close. My brother had the unit laying around the farm and gave it to me. :)

Post some pictures!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure would like to keep the fast hitch. I said fine, I won't use it. The tool bar too. I need the tool bar. You were only going to make a two row. I could sell you two. I said I have 35 acres and might want the four row if I plant field corn for my goats. He couldn't make up his mind. I kept talking with him with no pressure. He then mentioned the tool bar would be good scrap. I told him I hate to see tool bar cut up. I think he was testing me. When he said "maybe we should just load it up." I said very quickly, ok. I got it chained down, gave him his money and got a bill of sale.

It is completely disassembled. The units are in the barn out of the weather. After taking the hitch off the tool bar my tractor would pick it up if I helped. I took the gauge wheels off also. The tool bar is sitting on an old pickup until I find a better place for it.

I took pictures before taking it apart. The old p/c I do pictures on for some reason won't open MTF. The new Dell we got a couple of weeks ago has a place to put the camera card, but won't do anything after inserting the card. I like the Lexmark photo editing but the new Dell won't accept the sofware.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
That is in great shape! Great deal for $400. I've seen one row units with a Cat 1 or 2 on them go for $500. You even have the herbicide boxes and you got the tall seed boxes as well. Do you have all of the seed box lids?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lids were still in the truck. I wasn't taking a chance on them blowing off. As a friend said after following me into town with the tractor and hipper on the trailer, "you git on down the road." As a lot of people don't understand, when you are pulling a trailer with dual wheels on the rear of the truck, it is more stable.

The cheapest I saw for one row assemblies was $195 and they looked like old junk. He wanted $895 for a 2 row ready to go. I was very happy finding this one for $400.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have more tool bars I'll be picking up later this week. I have a friend that scraps junk for most of his income. He aquired a rolling cultivator the same as the one I have. I will use some of the tool bar and hitch to mount two units of the planter on. It also has small two wheel rollers to get close to small plants. He will be saving those for me.

I was helping him load a trailer after looking at what he had for me. As we were throwing junk on the trailer I had to start a pile for me. He had a lot of what I call "good junk." He also had an old 8 row cultivator that had good gauge wheels on it. They are the same as my wheels. Instead of paying $27 apiece for them, I'll get them for scrap price. That will be about 50 cents each. I told him I had to leave before my pile got too big. I've gotten him looking at things he might save to build things out of in the future. Also some old stuff that could be worth something.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
RDR you got a deal.i paid 500. for a two row flex planter.I can,t complain got a lot of plates with it to.for small grain and the likes.have fun with it .

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I have more tool bars I'll be picking up later this week. I have a friend that scraps junk for most of his income. He aquired a rolling cultivator the same as the one I have. I will use some of the tool bar and hitch to mount two units of the planter on. It also has small two wheel rollers to get close to small plants. He will be saving those for me.

I was helping him load a trailer after looking at what he had for me. As we were throwing junk on the trailer I had to start a pile for me. He had a lot of what I call "good junk." He also had an old 8 row cultivator that had good gauge wheels on it. They are the same as my wheels. Instead of paying $27 apiece for them, I'll get them for scrap price. That will be about 50 cents each. I told him I had to leave before my pile got too big. I've gotten him looking at things he might save to build things out of in the future. Also some old stuff that could be worth something.
I do the same thing when I go to my brothers. He has all kinds of stuff and buys scrap to cut up and sell too. It's fun to look through, but I find to many "future" projects! :trink39:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RDR you got a deal.i paid 500. for a two row flex planter.I can,t complain got a lot of plates with it to.for small grain and the likes.have fun with it .
I almost feel guilty about the price after seeing what prices are being asked for them.

What other plates do you have? I only have the corn plates. I have a manual on the way for it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
i have the seed hoppers for small grain.two sets of b28034 for 36 cell seed.2 sets b28262 72 cell.4 sets b28263 72 cell.for seed. so far only used the corn plates which i have 14 sets of and other seed.I been planting by hand so long I,ll have to study how to use these seed hoppers.if you need any part numbers i have the manual.s for them.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my manual yesterday. It is dirty and rough looking, but was $9.15 instead of the "clean" one that went for $32. Now if I can get less underwater I'll get around to build the 2 row.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the tool bar ready to cut to length for the 2 row planter. Trouble is I did this 10 days ago. The truck hasn't moved since. Other things have been higher on the priority list.

Attachments

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I understand other things on the list. You are making progress, even if it is just planning. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the tool bar ready to cut to length for the 2 row planter. Trouble is I did this 10 days ago. The truck hasn't moved since. Other things have been higher on the priority list.
Yes there are always too many things to do on a farm/vinyard.
You can only do so much in a day.

It's hard for those of us up north who are looking at at least 3 more months of winter, to understand your sense of urgency. We forget your in the heart of your planting season, while we are out blowing snow.

Take it as it comes, and it will come together.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I was kicked back in the recliner watching world news that was recorded earlier, I was thinking about the planter. It has holes in the mounts for 4" tool bar and 2 or 2 1/4". If I take the 2 cultivator assemblies off the tool bars they are mounted on, the planter will bolt in their place, ready to go. I use the 2 cultivators to knock the rows down before planting. I can move them forward on the tool bars and do everything at once. I sure am glad that sometimes I don't get in a hurry. If I have time I'll build what I intended to. With the weather we are having I might plant the first 4 rows at least 2 weeks earlier than last year. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Man I hadn't been over here lately but I'd have to ask my wife, she has a 2 row set on 36" with the fertilize hopper, the tall metal seed cans and the herbicide boxes that she might would trade with you and maybe a bit to boot but we are far bit apart. You don't see many with fert. hopper. Always shedded too ;-)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So much for mounting the planter assemblies on the temporary tool bar. They are talking 60% chance of rain tomorrow afternoon and 100% Wed. I'm glad I didn't take the sweep assemblies off. After finishing repairs on one of my wife's cars this afternoon, I used the sweeps to knock down the second 4 corn rows that I am going to plant. I need to put fertillizer on them and hip them back up. If it rains I'll have plenty of time to work on the planter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts