My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

For the past 8 months a John Deere 6400 with a power-quad transmission has been having trouble. Recently the local JD dealership called and informed us that the tractor is in need of a new transmission (been at the dealer for nearly 6 months). So the problem... During planting season the tractor picked up this problem. what is the problem? well simply put, on start up it refuses to move in gear with the clutch out.

Details: The tractor was operating fine. No issues when parked. The next morning I go to resume planting and the tractor will not move. I shut the tractor down and gave everything a thorough inspection. Found no issues so i started it and tried again. Still nothing. I proceed to shift the power shift lever from B-1 to B-4. the tractor let out a grunt and when i let out on the clutch this time it took off. depressed clutch. placed back into B-1 and let out on clutch. Tractor proceeded to take off and functioned normally.

After this we used the tractor like this for a month or two while trying to find a solution. it went to the dealership where they put some valve kit in it and assured us it was fixed. when the tractor was brought back home and left sitting for a couple days then attempted to be used... the same problem occurred. it was then sent back to dealer.

point being, if this is a faulty transmission how can the tractor operate normally with no sounds or signs of issues for nearly 2 months and the transmission be bad? i would not be afraid to hook it to the planter how it is and use it for planting again. the tractor operates exactly how it should once you get it to go. Solution always being moving the power-shift forward to 4, then taking off from any gear you wish. Any guesses or advice as to a solution would be appreciated, we do not believe the transmission is faulty. while a new transmission would probably solve the issue(because it is clearly a transmission related issue) we do not believe it is in need of complete replacement. If more information is needed i will supply it.

thank you for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest moving this from Lawn & Garden tractors to the BIG BOYS, BIG JOHN DEERES
Thank you for the advice. is it possible for me to move it how it is or will i have to copy, paste, and repost?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,435 Posts
Hopefully a Moderator will come along an place it in the correct forum soon.

Since you posted a copy over in the proper area. I hope a MOD will closed this thread

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I suspect you may have a problem with the engagement override valve(EOV). This valve prevents tractor movement if tractor is started in gear until it is shifted to neutral and then back into gear again. Possibly shift linkage is out of adjustment or worn. ALso possible this valve is sticking. WHat shift lever arrangement do you have? Is there 3 levers, one lever for park, forward and reverse, and another lever for 1- 4 gears and another lever for ABCD? Or do you only have 2 levers? One thing for sure, you do not need a complete transmission replacement. Find another dealer that is willing to repair your existing one. If you only have 2 shift levers, you may be able to get it updated to 3 lever design free of charge. The 2 lever design was problematic and deere had a PRODUCT iMPROVEMENT PROGRAM in the mid 90's to replace that setup. If you post your serial number I can check to see if your tractor qualifies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suspect you may have a problem with the engagement override valve(EOV). This valve prevents tractor movement if tractor is started in gear until it is shifted to neutral and then back into gear again. Possibly shift linkage is out of adjustment or worn. ALso possible this valve is sticking. WHat shift lever arrangement do you have? Is there 3 levers, one lever for park, forward and reverse, and another lever for 1- 4 gears and another lever for ABCD? Or do you only have 2 levers? One thing for sure, you do not need a complete transmission replacement. Find another dealer that is willing to repair your existing one. If you only have 2 shift levers, you may be able to get it updated to 3 lever design free of charge. The 2 lever design was problematic and deere had a PRODUCT iMPROVEMENT PROGRAM in the mid 90's to replace that setup. If you post your serial number I can check to see if your tractor qualifies.
The John Deere 6400 in question has 3 levers. one for park, forward and reverse. a second for ABCD, and a third for 1-4. While having the three levers does disqualify it for the product improvement program you mentioned i will post the serial # later in case there is anything else it may be needed for. Also the dealership[p did replace some valves on the transmission on its first trip. I will review the documents regarding that repair and post exaclty what was done. in addition to this it may be appropriate to note that the filters an fluid have been replaced according to and possible more frequent than the recommended intervals. the screen in the rear end has also been cleaned as well.

In relation the the EOV valve, we always start the tractor in park. also would shifting the powershift forward from 1 to 4 result in this valve functioning properly or becoming un-stuck? Also if it is a shift linkage is there a way to test the tolerances or postioning of them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts