My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to get pics up as soon as I change over internet services. Hopefully soon, i've been without internet for months.:crybaby:

As some of you know I have 2 John Deere 60's and one John Deere 70. I just finished the engine rebuild on the 70. Had to do the carb also because it has sat for 3 years.
It came out really well. It runs like a new tractor now. I'm still running the original Vh70, tho now it's bored 10 over.
I haven't painted this one. it still has the original paint, tires, seat, etc.

I'm waiting to get internet back before I start the resto of one of the John Deere 60's. I'm sorting thru parts to see what I need to buy.
It will be running a V-60 built to VH-60 specs. It will have a charging system, correct size crankshaft output so I can run the original pto. I do have an extra mower deck for this one, also.
Hopefully I can start building this one soon.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I love 60s and 70s but they are never refered to as round fenders by JD collectors. Round Fenders are the 1963 to 1967 110/112s. Roger

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 70. I would put pictures up, but right now it's just a bunch of 70 parts...Where did you get parts to rebuild the engine? Mine has the original motor, and it runs like a champ, but I'd like to know I can get pars to rebuild and keep the original motor in it. I haven't seen to many engine pars available for it.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I love 60s and 70s but they are never refered to as round fenders by JD collectors. Round Fenders are the 1963 to 1967 110/112s. Roger
Thanks Roger, very true. They were always considered a fender deck, because they came off, or like the earlier JD 60's, tilted back in one piece.
The fenders are made seperate, but they are not bolt on. In my opinion they should of been.
Still in my opinion, cool little tractors.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a 70. I would put pictures up, but right now it's just a bunch of 70 parts...Where did you get parts to rebuild the engine? Mine has the original motor, and it runs like a champ, but I'd like to know I can get pars to rebuild and keep the original motor in it. I haven't seen to many engine pars available for it.
I already had all the parts I needed, but you can come up with nos Tec parts without too much difficulty.
If you don't mind aftermarket parts, you can use Primeline. If it's within tolerances and you can use std rings, they are pretty easy to come buy.
Try Ebay, and Tulsa Engine Warehouse, TEW,.

I will be tracking down parts soon for the rebuild on my 60. I will post what I find available for both the Vh-60 and Vh-70 engines.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did something very stupid. The pto had fresh grease in it, so I asumed it had been cleaned and repacked by the PO.
The last time I mowed with it it was fine, but I didn't mow long, and that was 3 years ago.
Long story short, I think I smoked a good belt.
So, this time it's coming apart, soak the bearings in solvent, and grease and reasemble.
I was planninng on mowing the grass with it yesterday, when this happened. Oh well, next time.

Now on to the carb.
I set the rpm's up with a digital tach, funny thing is the John Deere manuals list 3 different settings for Idle. Anywhere from 1200 rpm's to 2200 rpm's. Anyone know the correct settings, normally I do it by ear.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1500 to 1800 RPMs is what we used when I worked for JD in the 1970s. Roger
Thanks, Roger. I will set it up that way.

It looks like I will need to rebuild one of my PTO's before I can mow with it.
I cleaned and repacked the roller bearing on pto number 2, and put it it back on the tractor.
The bearings in the pivot seemed fine. Whithin 3 minutes their was smoke pouring out from the bottom of the tractor. I shut it down as fast as I could, but when I took it off to check it the bearings were cooked and really rough.

I don't have a press to rebuild them, so it looks like i'm at a standstill on this one for a while.:Disgus:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts