My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 49 Installation / Hookup

12K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  mrbeef 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I am a newbie here but a regular lurker. Anyway, I picked up an old John Deere 49 snowthrower for my 318. Its been a week of tearing it apart and replacing/fixing many of the issues it had. I have replaced the bearings, straightend the bent auger, sanded off all the rust and re-painted most of it. I finally have it hooked up to my 318 however I can't figure out where to hook up the chute control handle with the metal holder.

I thought it might hook up right above my brake pedals (there are 2 screws there). However when I losened the screw, a back nut fell off and I relized both off those screws on holding electrical wires/componets onto the back of the plate. I then tried seeing if it should mount under the hood however I can figure out where it would go. Any assitance would be GREATLY appreciated!

BTW I have a JD 318 repowered with a 24hp Honda :)

Thanks!
Chad

#2 ·
There is a bracket that fits the side of the tractor to hook the rod holder into! Sorry, I don't have dimensions, I'm going to have to figure that out myself to put my #49 on my 314. As soon as I get the 49 R&Red! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

#3 ·
I have a different bracket that the rid is strung thru. It is yellow about 1 inch wide with some factory based bends in it. Would that yellow bracket attach to the black one you have shown here? I will get a pic in a few minutes and put it up.

#6 ·
Well you gotta have it!! it mounts on the right side of the pedestal. funny I never took it off in 22 years it's not in the way!!
Any chance the PO has it ?
I think I read once before it's NLA from JD. I think a member made one ??

#9 ·
JD parts did NOT say NLA on either part I would check with a JD dealer.
I typed in 49

#29 ·
I just got one for my 318... from the dealer.

It comes as a kit...

(A) ON 49 ST WITH SN UP TO 488000-NEED TO ORDER AM39601 OR AM106988. ON 49 ST SN 488001 AND ABOVE
AM39601 INCLUDED

(B) WHEN INSTALLING 49 ST ON 316 SN 477134 AND ABOVE OR 318 SN 485762 AND ABOVE ORDER AM106988 KIT

#11 ·
Thank you everyone. I called the original owner and no luck on the part. It came off a 316 and he did not see the bracket on there. I guess I am back to the drawing board on potentially building one. I am a horrible metal worker. It took me almost 3 days to get the crazy bearings off. 3 gear/bearing pullers later, 4 different bottles of lube and then a rotary tool (had to cut a broken race bearing). I had the bearings free. Not sure if I should attempt bending some metal, nor would I know how to even attempt.

Regardless you guys are awesome on helping get to the bottom of this! I'll check with the JD dealer tomorrow however I had to stop by today to get another replacement bearing and they did not know anything about a mount or plate, I even brought in a pic off the form here.

#13 ·
Have them try #'s AM 39599 or AM 106990

#15 ·
Stopped by my local John Deere today, both part numbers were discontinued. The guy working said they have been off the shelves for sometime. I resorted to a block of wood, drilled and bolted to the pillar. I then pilot hole drilled two holes for the bolts on the chute bracket. Painted it green and now it looks great! Got everything all back together today AND we got an inch of snow. Perfect time to test out the rebuilt JD49! I got about 10 feet of blowing and the belt slipped off. I was a bit surprised since I nearly broke both my hands trying to twist it onto the pulley. I did this a few times and studied the mechanism. I checked my bearings, the gear shaft and everything and when I hand turn the auger it easily turns the pulley. The belt is run from the PTO directly around the pulley on the blower. I then pushed the 2nd smaller pulley that is on a spring against it and pushed down the lever that has the spring until it locked into place with the small pulley pushing on the outside of the elogted oval and the spring/lever fully engaged/locked. I still had the belt hop off after reconnecting. My belt is tighter than the belt that runs the deck normally, I nearly could not get it on. After a close look, It appears the pulleys on the JD 49, do not align completely with the PTO on the tractor. So... I am curious, has anyone run into this? I am debating on trying to move the pulley attached to the blower towards the blower about an inch. Currently it is at the very end of the shaft that comes off the gear box/blower.

Thoughts?

#27 ·
. . . My belt is tighter than the belt that runs the deck normally, I nearly could not get it on. After a close look, It appears the pulleys on the JD 49, do not align completely with the PTO on the tractor.

. . .

Thoughts?
and

That would explain why the belt doesn't stay on as well as why it doesn't fit.

#16 ·
#18 ·
#17 ·
I checked my 314 today, it has the slot for the "control rod bracket", so I don't need the black bracket after all!

I will, however, need to make a cylinder lock-out link to hold the deck cylinder. ~~ grnspot

#20 ·
Nice! So your 314 has it built onto the tractor? Good luck on the cylinder lock out link. Please post pics on your progress on the 49 on the R-R'ed

#21 ·
Spent the morning trying to figure out why the belt hops off the pulleys. No luck. It runs from 10 seconds to 4 minutes and then the belt hops off.

I have tried the following.

1. New Belt from John Deere
2. Smaller belt
3. Adjusting the JD 49 main pulley
4. Alligning the tensioner pulley with the PTO pulley
5. Verified the auger turns with ease

It appears when I engage the tensioner is when it starts hopping off (attempted with slightly smaller belt)

Can anyone verify the pulleys are installed correctly? Here are some pics.

#23 ·
So that little twist should not be in it? It should be perfectly in alignment? I will attempt some bending. Wow this 49 has been a bunch of work. Paid 400.00 for it along with some weights and chains so it could be worth it once I get it finished.

#26 ·
Heres KATT's Never had any trouble and had the same belt over 10 years.

#28 ·
Phone Randy VandenBosch @ Zondervan.com
Phone # 616 698-3573

He makes the chute adapter brackets.I bought one for my 318 and a different styled one for my 332.He also built me a front weight bracket for my 332.

#32 ·
Right now I am thinking your best bet is eBay given the time of year. You could check over on WFM and see if there is something in the classified section. Or fashion your own.

Expensive eBay.... I paid 35 for mine in the summer......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.