My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I made a dollie wheel set for my JD 48" deck. This project was inspired by things I have seen hear on MTF.

I purchase all the items for this project at the Lowes near my home.

Materials purchased:

(4) 10" hand-truck dollie wheels
(1) All-thread rod 5/8-11 x 36"
(1) Steel tube 3/4"OD x 5/8" ID x 36"
(4) 5/8-11 Lock Nuts

Here is what I did:

I cut the all-thread rod into (2) 13" lengths and then chamfered the ends on the bench grinder;

I cut the steel tubing into (2) 6-1/2" lengths using a copper pipe cutter. I deburred the inside using a deburring tool. I tapered the outer edges with a bench grinder. A file would have done fine;

I slide a tube over each piece of all-thread. After centering the tube I drilled a single through-hole (near one end of each tube). The hole was sized to receive a 16d Common nail.

I cut two 16D nails 7/8" long, leaving the head on. I inserted the nail through each tube/all-thread assembly and used a hammer to smashed the tip of the nail down to form a rivet head. The tube and all-thread now form one axle assembly.

Then, about 1/2" from the opposite end of the tube, I drilled a 1/4" diameter hole about 3/8" deep and then chamfered it using a 1/2" diameter bit. This shallow hole serves to receive the spring-loaded pin that normally indexes the gauge wheels.

I sanded/polished the tubing to remove any major imperfections so it would easily slide in mating hole on the deck. I did this just enough to make sure the OD of the tube would allow it so slide easily.

I then secured one wheel on each of the two axles assemblies (the end opposite the chamfered 1/4" hole) using the lock nut. These wheels stay attached to the axle at all times.

To use them:

Prop up the rear of the deck about 12"-14" or so on a scrap piece of wood.

Remove the two rear gauge wheels from the mower.

Side in the axle assembly from the bottom of the deck just far enough for the indexing pin to grab in the 1/4" hole.

Drop on the 2econd wheel and install a lock nut finger tight.

Remove the block of wood holding the deck and set the deck down on the ground.

From the front of the deck stand the deck upright.

And there you have it. Once the wheels are installed the deck can be stood up for storage, moved around the garage with ease, and used to hold the deck upright for cleaning.

Removal of gauge wheels through installation of dollie wheels and standing upright takes about 90 seconds. Deck cleaning just got easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
:thThumbsUVery nice, that would make it so much easier for me to put the deck away for the winter, also nice and stable to clean the deck out.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is awesome! :fing32: :fing32:

Something tells me that this is not the only ingenious invention you've had.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,309 Posts
Wow, that is a cool way to move around and store the deck!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I got a utility trailer stored in my shed now that I installed a 8' door and hoping
my 54" deck will slid nicely underneath the trailer.

I'll post some pics when I get everything ready

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very nice work, those deck dollies look great! I pulled my deck today to clean it, those would have been nice to have. Instead, I hoist it from the garage trusses to scrap it down. Then i just used the rear gauge wheels to roll it outside one, lean it against a saw horse and hose it off. Then it gets stored upright against/scewed to the wall until next spring:

If I had to do this more than once a year, I'd build something similar to use.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
mbrun, nice project thanks for the great instructions and pics.:fing32:

·
JD X320 & 125
61 Posts
mbrun, Thanks for the construction tips. I built mine this spring & used it last week while pressure washing my deck - gives plenty of support.

I bought my wheels from an Ebay source - today I see Harbor Freight has the exact same wheels for $4.29 each. They're not the highest quality, but work fine for this application.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzIwNDQ0MjkiLCJza3UiOiIzMDkwMCIsImlzIjoiNC4yOSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi OiI0MDIifQ== &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2212b&utm_source=1003

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mbrun, Thanks for the construction tips. I built mine this spring & used it last week while pressure washing my deck - gives plenty of support.

I bought my wheels from an Ebay source - today I see Harbor Freight has the exact same wheels for $4.29 each. They're not the highest quality, but work fine for this application.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzIwNDQ0MjkiLCJza3UiOiIzMDkwMCIsImlzIjoiNC4yOSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi OiI0MDIifQ== &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2212b&utm_source=1003
Glade it worked for you. Even plastic wheels would suffice as long was they are large enough to keep the deck completely off the ground. That is what I was searching for locally and just did not find them. Enjoy!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its been raining here all day and I was bored. I went to the Harbor Freight store in Taxachusetts, bought 4 tires that BRAKER found, followed the instructions mbrun detailed and now have an awesome deck dollie less than $35. This will make cleaning the deck waaaayy easier. Thanks very much!

While I was there I also bought four 3" casters and made a dollie for my snow thrower. No more breaking my back pushing it around the garage.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its been raining here all day and I was bored. I went to the Harbor Freight store in Taxachusetts, bought 4 tires that BRAKER found, followed the instructions mbrun detailed and now have an awesome deck dollie less than $35. This will make cleaning the deck waaaayy easier. Thanks very much!

While I was there I also bought four 3" casters and made a dollie for my snow thrower. No more breaking my back pushing it around the garage.
You know the rules...WE NEED PICTURES or it didnt happen.:thThumbsU

Glad it worked for you.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts