My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a used (1 year old) 47" snowblower at the dealer the other day. Someone had traded up to the 54" model. Anyhow...dealer is asking $2,400 for the full set up including the hydraulic chute control. Seems a bit steep but I know from pricing them last year the cost of a new one.

Thoughts? Seem reasonable?

As always, thank you to all who reply and all others on the more than informative threads in this JD forum.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
It seems like the new 54" blower is the better size for your tractor. Reading here on MTF, there are lots of folks driving 2000-series tractors with the 47" unit that wish the 54" had been available when they bought theirs.

My take is that the 47" is ideal for the X700-series, and the 2305, with the 54" being an option for those as well. Once you bump to the larger 2000-series, the 54" is the natural choice as it will be a better fit to the width of the tractor.

One way to look at it is that you are lucky in that you don't already own a blower, so you can start from scratch and get the right size for your tractor. And until a year or so ago, the option of a 54" was not available. So you have more/better choices.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree with UrbanTractor , the 54" would probably be the better size.. Not that the 47" wouldn't do a good job. It is a good snowthrower.. I have one on a 2305 , with wheel spacers front and rear. Just in the past weeks I made some wings to widen the cutting width of the 47" Only added about 1 1/2--2" on each side. The 47" is OK for width going straight but when making a turn it just needs a little more width..
Last fall I bought mine used from a none JD dealer. I believe it he wanted 1500 for a 4 or 5 yr old , this was with front mount .Since I already had front , just need the drive shaft,front shaft connection (not correct name) I was able to get unit for 1000.00
It didn't have the hydraulic chute control . But even with yours still seems a little high. If you still decide to go with the 47 I would offer $2000 or 2200 just a thought.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm in agreement with all the above. I've got a 2305 with the 47", and I really wish I had the 54". If there is any way you can justify the extra bux for the wider one (new), I'd strongly suggest you do it.

Work Safely.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
That isn't a great price. It seems like it is about $3000 for the complete set up and 1/2 of that is for the front hitch and hydraulic lift.

The one thing regarding the 47" vs the 54" is that your pavement has to be very even the larger the blower is as the scraper edge is in essence a straight edge. If the pavement has bellies or high spots, it will leave residue. Something else to reconsider.

If it were me, a 2320 should have the larger unit.:fing32:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure a 47" straight edge is much less apt to grab high spots than a 54". However a 54" is gonna be a pain on sidewalks.

I have the 54 on my 2305. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Long time lurker,
95 Posts
If you are blowing sidewalks, 47" is all the wider you want, as most sidewalks are 48" and 54 will grab the lawns and you will wish it was narrower. You can always make a second pass, you cant make it narrower.

I use a rear angle blade on wider drives to windrow everything the 47" spills.

Just something to think about, go out now while its nice and measure the sidewalks you intend to blow.

-blizz

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I have the 47 and it is a great unit. I would try to get the price down a bit though. I added wings/extensions to mine and gained 10" of width. It helps on the curved part of my driveway. But in all honesty, I like things to looks nice, but it is only snow, so I wouldn't worry too much about the 47" being to narrow. Just my .02 cents, cause thats all its worth!:fing32:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts