My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 455 with no serial number on the frame can I use the serial number off the motor to determine the year?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not sure, but Sometimes there’s a date on the radiator. Perhaps repost this in the John Deere forum in the lawn and garden tractor section. I’m sure someone will know for sure. Perhaps a moderator will see this and could move this for you..

And welcome the MTF!

·
Registered
472 Posts
The serial number on the valve cover will get you close , assuming the valve cover or the engine weren't replaced in the past . Yanmar like most vendors have to build " ahead of time " to meet the demand of the model year being built . As an example the engine could be built in 1988 to meet the delivery needs of a 1989 model run . Some folks have had success with their local JD dealer getting a replacement serial number tag via the valve cover data and some report it's a big hassle .

·
Registered
463 Posts
Go to jdparts.deere.com and create an account if you don't have one. In the upper menu bar, click "Contact Us", enter your engine serial number and request your tractor PIN/serial number. They may say they can't trace it, but keep after them...as they can! Every Deere tractor built is on record with engine & tractor serial number.

If you want an actual replacement plate, you'll have to work through your dealer. Bob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It will be on the right side of the radiator from the seat and it will be within a month of the build date of the engine/tractor. JD will give you a runaround like you won't believe so use the radiator date for date of build.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Go to jdparts.deere.com and create an account if you don't have one. In the upper menu bar, click "Contact Us", enter your engine serial number and request your tractor PIN/serial number. They may say they can't trace it, but keep after them...as they can! Every Deere tractor built is on record with engine & tractor serial number.

If you want an actual replacement plate, you'll have to work through your dealer. Bob
rwmeyer I want to thank you for this advice . Early this year I purchased a 332 garden tractor that was missing the ID plate/sticker . On Saturday I did as you suggested and created an account at jdparts.com , after that I did the " contact us " and gave a brief description of my tractor and the Yanmar serial number . I asked if they could provide my tractors model number/serial number and confirm the year so future parts orders would be correct . This afternoon ............... yes TWO DAYS after sending my request I received an email with my model # and confirmation that it is a 1988 . I was shocked :tango_face_surprise Maybe it was just dumb luck that I didn't have to go down the " it's a hassle " road to get but I'm not complaining :tango_face_grin: There are plenty of online vendors that can replicate the plate now that I have the info . Great advice buddy thank you !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts