My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the following described John Deere 455 where the guy wants $5500. I'm wondering a) should I be concerned with it having almost four thousand hours and is $5500 a decent price. Thanks!

John Deere 455 With 3,7xx Hours. The tractor comes with a Quick detach Loader, 60” mowing deck, 54inch Snow blade, 48” box scraper, rear 540 PTO, Rear 3 point Hitch, Rear Quick hitch, front quick hitch. Upgraded reverse pedal, loader relief valve, rear hydraulic lock out valve. 2 50lbs wheel weights and five 42lbs suitcase weights. The headlights have been upgraded to leds. The hydraulic pump was shimmed to raise the lifting capacity. Im sure I’m forgetting some stuff. Has been a great little Tractor. Runs good. Only selling to upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That seems awful steep for that many hours..... Of course, location plays a big role in pricing on these as well..... Where ya at?

·
4,226 Posts
It is a nice looking tractor and 5500 is a good price except for the hours...even for a diesel, in my opinion it has high hours...and with that many hours on a tractor with a FEL, you really have to be concerned about front end wear...if the front end has been maintained well and not allowed to get neglected it would be an interesting item...just at a lower price...my opinion

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a nice looking tractor and 5500 is a good price except for the hours...even for a diesel, in my opinion it has high hours...and with that many hours on a tractor with a FEL, you really have to be concerned about front end wear...if the front end has been maintained well and not allowed to get neglected it would be an interesting item...just at a lower price...my opinion
Thank you. What would be the wearable parts that one would want to look at to see if worn on the front?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading the add , this seller is not a dishonest person ! That engine is a good one , also the drivetrain . I would check it out . Take 4500 cash and go for it . Kevin .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thank you. What would be the wearable parts that one would want to look at to see if worn on the front?
Anything that moves, on the front axle. Pivot, kingpins, spindles, wheel bearings.

I agree with everyone else that that is a ton of hours. The loader is about $2000 by itself. It's priced on the high side if you wanted to sell off all the implements and the tractor separately. If you're going to keep then you have to be a bit more discerning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,226 Posts
The pivot point bushing and pin...wheel spindles and steering components...run the engine and turn the steering wheel and watch the front axle for unusual movement...or movement of parts that move other parts ..make sure the reaction is immediate.....when one part moves, the part that it is supposed to move without any lag

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said it was owned by a town at one time that is where the hours came from. Speaking of town, I saw one once that was owned by a town, that, no joke, had 11,000+ hours on it. IT seems if a person wants a decent 455, with a pto, with a three point (which are hard to find to being with), a person is looking at a minimum of $2500 bucks. If you want a loader, like trent said above, you are looking at 2,000. The grader box new is probably 5-600, a little less used. And the front blade is probably worth around 500 or so. I don't think it is a bargain, per se, but to put all that together on a machine that does not have them, as far as accessories is going to run the same amount.

·
Registered
428 Posts
He said it was owned by a town at one time that is where the hours came from. Speaking of town, I saw one once that was owned by a town, that, no joke, had 11,000+ hours on it. IT seems if a person wants a decent 455, with a pto, with a three point (which are hard to find to being with), a person is looking at a minimum of $2500 bucks. If you want a loader, like trent said above, you are looking at 2,000. The grader box new is probably 5-600, a little less used. And the front blade is probably worth around 500 or so. I don't think it is a bargain, per se, but to put all that together on a machine that does not have them, as far as accessories is going to run the same amount.
A low hours (or average hours) one around here will be 3500-5000 with deck and maybe one accessory. I think it would be a deal IF you could negotiate a bit, sell the attachments you don't want, and use the tractor for now but plan on selling the tractor when you find one in better shape/with fewer hours.

·
4,226 Posts
Owned by a Town?...really can't tell how it was maintained..does the seller have any pictures from before he painted it?...that could give you an idea...and it is possible that someone just left the key on and racked up a lot of hours just sitting there...does the engine start nicely?...does it puff black smoke badly on start?...after running for a few minutes?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Owned by a Town?...really can't tell how it was maintained..does the seller have any pictures from before he painted it?...that could give you an idea...and it is possible that someone just left the key on and racked up a lot of hours just sitting there...does the engine start nicely?...does it puff black smoke badly on start?...after running for a few minutes?
Does the hour meter run off ignition on? Or the rpm of the engine? I'm not familiar with the older ones. Mine only runs when the engine is running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you Mark. If it starts up with smoke and continues to blow smoke then that would tell a lot. My other concern is the deck. I had a 425 growing up and at some point the decks appear to get worn out.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Despite the hours, don't all the attachments make it a decent price?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Despite the hours, don't all the attachments make it a decent price?
That's what I am wondering. 2,000 for the loader, 500 for the front blade, 500 for the box blade, plus it does have the front weights and rear weights which I assuming are worth about 250. So, right there is 3250, meaning the remaining 2250 is for the tractor, which I never have seen any 425 with a 3pt and pto go for that.

·
4,226 Posts
That model was in production from 1992 to 2001.....see if you can find the serial #...although it may have been painted over...to get an idea where in that time period it was made...take look at he deck...check for holes and free spinning spindles...both can be repaired...the seat looks good...tires look good someone put some effort into revitalizing it...hard to tell how much was covered up with the restoration, though...I think that the $4500 cash idea might be a good way to pursue it

·
Parts collector
3,348 Posts
Wow that's a lot of hours for that price. The attachments are worth most of the money but you are still looking at an engine rebuild in the near future. I have heard that the Yanmars go to around 5K hrs before they need rebuilt. 3TNA72 overhaul rebuild kit for Yanmar engine John Deere 430 455 755 670 tractor | eBay
Being a "town" tractor who knows what kind of people used it or how it was maintained, that could go either way. I have seen both, beat to death and abused, and clean as new well maintained.
$400 to have the injectors rebuilt, and who knows how much for an injection pump rebuild. $800?
The tractor looks good, and if the FEL works well that would be awesome to have. As said above, if the FEL was on for it's life you are looking at an axle rebuild. If it was only put on by the current owner you should be good.

I'd take a look at it. Start it and look for blue smoke (oil/rings) black smoke that continues (injectors/compression) how quickly it starts (compression/rings)
Run it around to test the trans, run the FEL through to test it, check the 3-pt and PTO clutch.
As said above I would take $4500 and offer $4k and go from there with this knowledge.

Good luck

·
Registered
938 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. A Yanmar diesel is usually good for 9000 hrs, so engine is (almost) either 1/2 worn in or 1/2 worn out, depending on how you look at it!
Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figure I'd put about 50 hours a year on it, if that. So, even if I were to only get a few hundred hours out of it, it be years down the road before I'd have to do anything. I've looked and looked for similar with lower hours and they are simply not out there. Guessing people hold on to these.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a repeat ad - it's been for sale for around a year or so.

If I remember correctly, in his original ad, he said that the hour meter indicated that number of hours, but he was unsure of the exact amount (something was going on).

My thought is that there's a darn good reason it hasn't sold since summer of last year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts