My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first time I got to mow with my 455 which I just purchased in 2-2013, I noticed it was real slow in reverse and the longer I mowed It seem to get slower where it would barely and sometimes wouldn't move at all in reverse and this was on a fairly flat surface lawn, Anyone have any ideas what would be causing this or did I get a bad lemon.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,350 Posts
When was the last time you serviced the hydro??:dunno:

First check the level.. Dipstick is below the seat..

Hydro release partially open? Check

Check it for dirt or contamination.. A plugging filter or mechanical issue could be the problem also. The fact that it changes pretty much rules out linkage but check it anyway.. :goodl:

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
That's a common issue with 4x5 tractors; there's several pedal "fixes" online (some better than others) or you can help it some by adjusting the linkage underneath (depending on your general mechanical ability). :fing32:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the mower and the seller said everything was serviced so I took his word for it, But I don't know if that included servicing the hydro, WNYTractorTinker what all is invovled in servicing the hydro? And I did check the dipstick which I always do before using any mower an that was fine, I will have to learn how to check the Hydro release also, Thanks guys.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,350 Posts
I will have to learn how to check the Hydro release also, Thanks guys.
The Hydro Release knob is between the right rear tire & the frame. I think you push it up to release the hydro. If you can push the tractor by hand it is in release state.. Make sure it is fully disengaged.

If you have a week or so to kill here is all you will need to know about your tractor.. CLICK HERE

Download it and save it to your H/D or even a Zip drive for future reference!:fing32:
:goodl: :trink40:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The first thing I did after driving my new to me 455 for the first time was order a reverse pedal improvement! The original is designed to limit pedal travel, and speed in reverse. I got a new metal pedal for mine. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
69project, Thanks for the reply, I thought that was all there was but wasn't sure as I'm new to all this, WNYTractorTinker thanks for that information it is well needed, And antiqueetc I think I will order 1 of those as Harryc and several other people recommend it.

·
lexmark
944 Posts
I added the " fast reverse " pedal to my 445 its advertised on ebay for about 48.00 in my opion it was money well spent because i too was very disapointed with my purchase now its like a totally different machine and very easy to install

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Well I installed my revised pedal yesterday and it is a huge improvement. I believe I got the same one as Lexmark500ho since it cost the same. This one uses the OEM JD pedal so it matches the forward pedal.

·
lexmark
944 Posts
Yup there are a few different versions out there but the 48.00 one looks like a oem part very well made and simple to install

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I added the " fast reverse " pedal to my 445 its advertised on ebay for about 48.00 in my opion it was money well spent because i too was very disapointed with my purchase now its like a totally different machine and very easy to install
Can someone please post where you got the revised reverse pedal or the 455/455 tractor. The only one I spotted was $33, and you guys are quoting $48.I'm in Canada and not many e-bay people will ship to Canada. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Can someone please post where you got the revised reverse pedal for the 455/455 tractor. The only one I spotted was $33, and you guys are quoting $48.I'm in Canada and not many e-bay people will ship to Canada. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really don't think it's the pedal because it moves when it's cold but the hotter it gets the worst it is an it will barely move or not move at all like I stated in post#1, Lexmark500ho & k91 can you post the web site where you got yours so I can compare it to the one Harryc recommends.

·
lexmark
944 Posts
If you search ebay under john deere 425 445 455 look for fast reverse i know there is a member here tbat emailed the seller and arraigned shipping to canada i started a thread here a while ago with pics when i did mine maybe you can search this forum for that post

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stoon boy, Your right, I can't find any way to contact him either so it makes you think before you buy from someone like that.

·
lexmark
944 Posts
I bought 2 from him and was very happy i know there is a mem er here from canada that bought from him after reading my post maybe he will chime in

1 - 20 of 37 Posts