My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me what the current equal is to the 445? I had an older model 445 with the longer nose, poor turn radius that I didn't love...but my F.I.L. has a "newer" model 445...I think it's his third... that I really like. I'm looking for something equivalent or better, but don't want to go way above it (for cost reasons) because I know the 445 fits my needs. If I could go a little above the 24HP I wouldn't complain. I'm also interested (I know I'm treading on thin ice here) looking at equivalent or better models from Simplicity or Cub or Gravely (or anything) that would be as durable and long lasting with equal-better features for less money.

Also... I like the 60" deck on our 445's, but it seems like the lawn tractors I'm looking at in the 24hp range (even simplicity 33hp range) mainly have the 50-54" deck. I've never used a 54" deck, but I assume I won't be happy dropping below the 60".

I'd be really appreciative of any knowledgeable insight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe it would be a X730.
The current JD garden tractors have drive over auto connect decks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That.... is a bummer. I was hoping (for cost reasons) it would be a smaller machine than the 700 series. I've never seen a 730. That definitely ups my need to look at less green options -- though I'd LOVE to buy a 730 (or better yet a 730 with 4 wheel steering and 4wd!!), I don't think it's in the cards.

·
1K poster
1,885 Posts
I believe it would be a X730.
The current JD garden tractors have drive over auto connect decks.
Ditto and they are much improved with the drive-over decks. Steve, I will tell you though, I had a 445 as well, but became a convert to the 1 Series, I still have my two 140's and my LGT16D, but I went in and they (Deere) no longer makes a loader for the X700 series. The 1 series I got was a 1023, with a 54" deck, loader, rear PTO and 3 point hitch for $13,300, if I had bought a X758, I would have way overpaid and still been short on equipment. I almost think Deere is trying to phase out the 700 series and convert people to the 1 series. 55" to 57" wheelbase, same width, the 1 series is heavier but if you do some "tractoring" work and I assume you do if you buy a X700 series, then more weight is good. It is a little bulky, but again, it's just a hair bigger and I've basically gotten used to it. To be fair, mine was a clearance tractor with a whole 0.9 hours on it. So all said and done now the same package might be about $15,300 or so, but the X738 is $14,600 and that's with no loader, 3pth or rear pto.

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
I’m a bit confused on your 445 lingo. All the 445 (really all the 4-5) machines had the same hoods. Did you have a 430 by chance?

A direct replacement would be the x730 or the X734 (all wheel steer version). The series immediately following the 445’s was the older X4-5 and X5-5 units. The X485 would be the direct replacement. Then the X720, followed by the X730 since 2013.

Cost wise an X485 will be pretty “cheap” compared to a new machine. Somewhere in the $2,500-4,000 range depending on deck, hours, condition, options etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m a bit confused on your 445 lingo. All the 445 (really all the 4-5) machines had the same hoods. Did you have a 430 by chance?

A direct replacement would be the x730 or the X734 (all wheel steer version). The series immediately following the 445’s was the older X4-5 and X5-5 units. The X485 would be the direct replacement. Then the X720, followed by the X730 since 2013.

Cost wise an X485 will be pretty “cheap” compared to a new machine. Somewhere in the $2,500-4,000 range depending on deck, hours, condition, options etc.
well.... yes and no. I did also have a 430 diesel, which definitely did have a long nose and terrible turn radius....but I thought I remembered my 445 also being a little longer than my F.I.L.'s and definitely remembering it didn't turn quite as well, go quite as fast (we raced 😁), and I didn't like it as much. The 430 I got rid of because (very surprisingly) it would bog down badly when I was mowing slightly uphill in thicker grass. We do have a 10series (I don't even remember which one off the top of my head, but will look tomorrow) compact tractor, so I'm mostly not looking for tractor work with it...but if I spend the money on a quality machine (of any make), I want something I'll have(and love) for 15-20 years. I've always bought used (the 445, 430, an eXmark zero turn, a Scag zero turn), and I've always had frustrating maintenance issues. I'm leaning towards buying new so I can maintain it properly and keep my broken-junk-frustration to a minimum....but unfortunately I was really hoping to be in the 6000-9000 range. I was not quite prepared for the 11k-14k range, so I have some figuring out to do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've always bought used (the 445, 430, an eXmark zero turn, a Scag zero turn), and I've always had frustrating maintenance issues. I'm leaning towards buying new so I can maintain it properly and keep my broken-junk-frustration to a minimum....but unfortunately I was really hoping to be in the 6000-9000 range. I was not quite prepared for the 11k-14k range, so I have some figuring out to do.
I understand the frustration of buying used. I grew up on a farm. All of the mowers we had came from area auctions. We spent as much time working on them as we did mowing. After I got married & got a place of my own, I purchased a new Ariens GT12. It was way advanced for its time. It had a drive over, pto driven deck. It was great not having to work on the machine each time I mowed. Later I needed a larger mower. By this time Ariens was no longer making the GT series of tractors. The closest thing I could find were the John Deere 400 series garden tractors. I could not afford a new one, so I purchased a used JD 425 AWS, that was a very low hour machine. It spent 3 weeks in the shop the first 2 months. It was mostly trouble free after that, but I have never purchased used again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Steve,
I think we're both pretty disappointed in no BIG football this fall. I can add a bit of info for you as we just traded our 1994 JD 445 for a 1 year old X730. We bought our 445 when it was 1 year old and used it to mow 3 acres and plow our long drive for 17 years. We really luv'd that tractor and were a bit disappointed when it developed engine problems with only 1,450 hrs. I maintained it meticulously but the left bank still developed piston ring issues. We checked into a rebuild and found out the cost was about equal to the value of the tractor,
So, we traded a couple of weeks ago for a 1 year old X730 (70 hrs) with 60" drive over/attach deck. We added a quick connect front cradle with a 54" blade plus the power flow unit that works with our JD tilt cart. The cost was right at $10.5K OTD after the trade-in value of $2,500 for our 445. The X730 is a dream to use and does everything and more that we could ever want it to do. IF, you decide on a new or used X700 tractor, you will always look back at the day it was delivered and smile! We couldn't be happier or more pleased with this terrific machine!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
you could get into the 700 series with used / low-hours for the price range you are thinking of.
A 250hour machine would be just barely broken in, with no maintenance issues unless it was abused in a big way....

do you want gas or diesel?.... drives the price significantly....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with Wally on used X700 prices.The dealer that we bought our 2019 X730 from also had a 2018 X730 tractor with 300+ hrs for $7,000 which looked almost new. So they are out there and Deere has a 4 year transferable bumper to bumper warranty so if you choose a year or two X700 tractor, the rick is certainly minimal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts