My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD445. The PTO is not engaging. The hydrostatic oil was very low, the last time it work. The engine runs. It moves. the up/down hydraulics work, but neither the rear or mid pto works. I replaced the solenoid that didn't help. It is directly wired so there should be no other issue.

Now. I cannot hear the solenoid make any sound when I flip the switch. When I pulled the solenoid spring and valve out, it seemed okay to be but the inner piece didn't want to rotate at all.

Is this most likely a pto clutch issue? And I need to replace it or is there a rebuild kit? or is this indicative of something else?

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
What year 445 this will determine if it has the RIO or non-RIO PTO switch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
It is a '94 it has a rio switch, I need to pull the board and do the diagnostics on it, but that isn't this issue. I am just not sure if I should here it click. I would rather not pull apart the transmission to find out i just have to replace the valve but for 100 bucks I am not just going to swap parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a bit further. the needle bearing in the clutch assembly seems a bit loose. I need to replace it. The new JD parts lookup sucks compared to the old system. I went into the store, and of course because of covid you can't look at the computer screen with them. He printed off the wrong screen or honestly, I don't think the picture matches the tractor at all, but it just showed assemblies, and not the parts in the assemblies. But if you look it up by a part number, it popped up the right diagram. I am looking at parts 8, 18, 7. should I replace seal 5 and maybe 9 (im not sure what that does) while I have this apart?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you have it apart, replace the seals.
lol I knew someone was going to say that. The only seal in that diagram, I have to take apart the clutch pack to get to it. I was trying to avoid that. However, I really should inspect the plates. Any other seals? I don't want to get further into the transaxle unless there is a reason. I didn't disassemble the rear pto at all. There may still be an issue there. But it was leaking somewheres or else the fluid wouldn't have been low to begin with

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure if you have the transaxle out of the 445's frame or work is going on with the trans in place. If out of frame, recommend replacement of Differential Lock actuator shaft seal, 2 O-rings on swash plate shaft behind but and washer, O-ring on brake actuator shaft (inside case), mid-PTO shaft seal, seal where drive shaft enters the charge pump. Might be helpful to also go on TuffTorq's website and get the K91/K92 parts list and diagrams. TT parts' pricing is often a little better than JD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Typo- "but" above should be "nut".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if you have the transaxle out of the 445's frame
It isn't off the frame. I actually need to get it working enough to get some spring stuff done. I think the seals were replaced a few years ago, and the whole machine moves and hydraulics work. I think it is just in the PTO somewhere. Well the clutch bearing needs to be replaced and there is a slight score on the solenoid valve and it isn't moving as freely as I would think so those are getting tossed but there was a leak I think around the gasket between the rear pto and the main part of the unit.

I didn't know the transaxle was outsourced. I will put that in my notes. It looks like it is a k91 after a quick google. Is the PTO outsourced as well? It is 220 bucks for a new set of friction plates, which seems outrageous. I think I will replace the PTO seal. I should check the clutch plates anyway. I am just not exactly sure what I am looking for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, it looks like the manual I have. I took the clutch plates out. They actually didn't appear to me to show any signs of wear. I am unsure the best way to pop the snapring off that holds the piston, because there is a big spring on it. It just says CAUTION. lol I musta missed a few days at the gym. do you just try to put this in the vice?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would place it in a vice or use a large C-Clamp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I would place it in a vice or use a large C-Clamp.
I was wondering about uneven pressure on the spring and in turn on the piston. It worked to get it off. You really need 2 c-clamps to put even pressure on the spring.

I can't figure out how to get the shaft out of the housing. Page 6-52 of the manual has an incorrect diagram.
There is like a washer(but it is stuck on) then a bearing, on the shaft, then the shaft goes through the housing. The diagram has a snap ring between the housing and the bearing. Do I just ignore the washer part and assume that is a seal of some sort, and use a bearing splitter?

supposedly this is the same as the x485 series, does anyone have the clutch diagram for that?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry, I can't answer those questions. It has been 10-12 years since I was last in my trans-axle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts