My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an issue with my tractor and was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar to my problem. So when driving the tractor after about 5 minutes it feels like someone is Applying the brakes. Motor starts bogging down when you push the pedal harder. Only noticed it in 2nd & 3rd gears. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Tractor only has about 590 hours on it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You’ll have better luck in the CUT section (this is Lawn & Garden):

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Most likely the brake operating shafts in the axle housings are sticking, causing the brakes to drag. Check items 1 and 4 in diagram. When bakes are dragging, The disks heat up and expand. The more they heat up, the more they drag. Unhook the operating rods from the lever #1 and lubricate the shaft where it comes through the housing. tap shaft in and out and rotate in both directions while applying penetrating oil until they free up.
4300 brake.PNG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much, I will definitely give this a try. Is this common for John Deere tractors? Surprised that I am having issues like this with such low hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely the brake operating shafts in the axle housings are sticking, causing the brakes to drag. Check items 1 and 4 in diagram. When bakes are dragging, The disks heat up and expand. The more they heat up, the more they drag. Unhook the operating rods from the lever #1 and lubricate the shaft where it comes through the housing. tap shaft in and out and rotate in both directions while applying penetrating oil until they free up. View attachment 2444801
Thanks for the info. Is this a common problem for these tractors? Based on yr and amount of hours?
Also when brake pedals disconnected, the lever and shaft should move freely correct?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes, lever and shaft need to move freely. It is fairly common to see these brake shafts seize, especially if tractor is used in fertilizer or salt. It is a good idea to lube these occasionally after you get them freed up. I like using Fluid Film. It is thick enough to stay where you spray it and also helps to keep moisture from getting in and causing more problems. There is an oring on the shaft to keep oil from leaking out of the housing, but it also allows moisture into the outer 1/4" or so. This is the area that tends to seize.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, lever and shaft need to move freely. It is fairly common to see these brake shafts seize, especially if tractor is used in fertilizer or salt. It is a good idea to lube these occasionally after you get them freed up. I like using Fluid Film. It is thick enough to stay where you spray it and also helps to keep moisture from getting in and causing more problems. There is an oring on the shaft to keep oil from leaking out of the housing, but it also allows moisture into the outer 1/4" or so. This is the area that tends to seize.
Hey man, Thank you for your help. This info is very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely the brake operating shafts in the axle housings are sticking, causing the brakes to drag. Check items 1 and 4 in diagram. When bakes are dragging, The disks heat up and expand. The more they heat up, the more they drag. Unhook the operating rods from the lever #1 and lubricate the shaft where it comes through the housing. tap shaft in and out and rotate in both directions while applying penetrating oil until they free up. View attachment 2444801
Thank you for this info. It was the problem, brakes are fixed and working fine. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts