My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The facility that I work at has a John Deere 4300.

PROBLEM: When the operator is using the backhoe, the throttle slowly but surely loses RPM.

To clarify, the throttle lever moves from the "jackrabbit" position (UP) to the "turtle" position (DOWN).

As a fix, the operator has been using stiff wire to hold the throttle in the "jackrabbit" (UP) position.

I've removed the instrument panel casing and that allows me a clearer view of the throttle lever.

Is there some sort or "replaceable" friction material that wears down over time or?

What is causing this to occur and PLEASE help me with diagnosing a proper fix for this tractor!

Thanks in advance, fast_dave

·
22,512 Posts
There should be a nut on the lever's pivot that applies friction to the lever so that it doesn't move on its own. There may be friction discs or a spring involved.

I don't know the specifics for that tractor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tudor,

YES - there is an aircraft nut (steel nut with nylon at the end) on the other side of the axis bolt.

I'm thinking that there might be a friction material involved here.

Short of a blow-up diagram, the only other way to find out is to take this apart.

·
22,512 Posts
Snug up the nut a bit at a time and try it out. You want to be able to move the lever, not have vibrations move it for you.

It's possible that the friction component has deteriorated or broken and should be replaced. More likely is a bit of wear that has loosened things up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tudor - The friction material was in good shape, so I just snugged up the nut and all is well. Thanks for your help!

·
22,512 Posts
:fing02:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts