My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
Mopar, I'm not sure where the "400" came in?
I was speaking of the "400" seires tractors. they are odd balls and need "400" attachments for them.

I don't think I've ever run across any bio diesel around here. None of the local stations sell it.
The tank on the 430 is under the fender pan, I had it out for the original owner about 5 years ago when the grommets around the fuel lines started leaking. It got all new grommets at that time. The guy kept a second 150 gallon fuel tank in his garage for fuel, basically a half size heating oil tank. He'd keep it full when he got heating oil for the house and garage. I think his garage heater draws off it as well.
He also had a diesel generator, and a Chinese diesel on a rototiller as well.
He gave me a couple of small Lombardini 6hp diesel engines a few years ago that' I've been trying to find a purpose for as well.
With gas as high as diesel these days, I'd just as well go diesel and not worry about gas at all. I only wish my car was diesel too.

I went out this morning to cut my grass and had to pull the fuel bowl off my push mower, what ever was in the bowl wouldn't burn. What was in the tank ran fine. It happens almost every week. If I drain the fuel out of the tank into a jar, let it sit about a week I get a clear layer of what looks like water on the bottom of the jar. We don't have ethanol free fuel unless I buy race fuel and that's loaded with lead and over $12/gal. I can drive about two hours out of state and buy non ethanol gas for about $5.49 per gallon.
The bottom line is that diesel is the right answer vs hunting down and paying extra for non ethanol gas.
I would have to drive 45 mins to get ethanol free gas and it's around $5 a gal.

Man I could use one of those 6hp diesels for my wood splitter. :tango_face_grin:
I have a diesel Mercedes 300TD wagon average is 22mpg. 5cyl and gets 27 on the highway
I have a 93 Dodge Cummins and my wife has a 2000 5 speed Cummins.
Yesterday I fill our Durango and thought to myself "when did gas get to $3 agal. It cost me as much to fill the Durango as it does my truck." :tango_face_crying:

Anyway I love the look of the 400 tractors they just look like beasts. but I have invested too much money in my 300 attachments to move to a 400.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
903 is actually really really low. My 91’ 332 for example has over 3,000 hours on it and still gets used weekly with no issues.

If the grill isn’t beat up and it runs and drives good and everything works like it’s supposed too it’ll bring $3,500 super easy.
It must have been a better deal than I thought, I woke up this morning and a guy was loading the 430 up on his trailer. When I checked my email I had a message from the guy handling the sell off of all the stuff over there saying he had to sell the 430 because he got an offer 'substantially higher' than what they were asking.
I guess its my fault for not just pulling the trigger and buying the thing.
The guy who bought it had it running, so it drove on the trailer under its own power.

I suppose if I want one now I'll have to drive far to find one.

·
JD 430
3 Posts
Priced a little high, but you know it's history. Low hours for a 3 cylinder Yanmar. It is not difficult to repaint a 430. I use to do it yearly on mine. It is one of the last "mostly metal" JD small utility tractors. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts

·
JD 430
3 Posts
If Redington is correct about the 430 on CL in NJ, I would not pay 3500.00 dollars for that. I would be very cautious about the amount of rust on the mower deck and would really want to look under the deck shields to see if there was any rust or dimpling of the metal.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,811 Posts
Large unknowns ( condition of engine oil, condition of coolant, thermostat, water pump, condition of fuel in tank, fuel pump, fuel injector pump, leaks in the seals of the rear axle, differential lock, hydro-static control). I'm surprised the family didn't have an estate sale with the appraisers there, who would of been educated when it went up for for bid in a non running state. It would most likely not sold or sold for only in the hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I saw that ad, its not the same tractor, the one I was looking at got sent out to some auction in the midwest. The one in NJ isn't as clean paint wise as the one I was looking at originally but it don't look bad. The deck looks like mostly just surface rust, and the paint is about what I'd expect on most 30 year old tractors.

The one my neighbor had, if it turns up anywhere, had a small metal box bolted to the hood just ahead of the steering wheel where the guy kept a few wrenches, some extra hitch pins and such. I think box was an old Snap On tool case.

I would have liked to have had that one because it was his, but I"m not too worried about finding another one. I've got a line on a diesel Simplicity that I'd like to buy if it turns out to be what its supposed to be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Large unknowns ( condition of engine oil, condition of coolant, thermostat, water pump, condition of fuel in tank, fuel pump, fuel injector pump, leaks in the seals of the rear axle, differential lock, hydro-static control). I'm surprised the family didn't have an estate sale with the appraisers there, who would of been educated when it went up for for bid in a non running state. It would most likely not sold or sold for only in the hundreds of dollars.
I'm not sure if things like the condition of the oil or thermostat, or water pump and such would bother me much, if I bought an older machine like that I'm pretty much going to go over it and replace any maintenance items, change all the fluids and such day one. Besides, on my neighbors old machine, I doubt it needed much at all since it ran just fine when he parked it last. Basically it would have been a set of tires a couple belts and hoses and some fluids and it would be ready to go again. When I see a machine that's been all doctored up with fresh paint, clean oil, and new decals it really makes me wonder what it looked like before they did all that. There's a few guys on CL that sell machines all the time that are all painted up and listed as rebuilt for top dollar. From my experience with old cars and trucks, those sort of buys are never a deal. I'd rather find one that's all original and well kept that way then buy something that's been pieced together bit by bit or a painted up wreck. Myself, I don't much care if the paint shines, as long as its all there and complete. Especially with something three decades old or more. New paint and decals don't cut anymore grass or plow any more snow. I do believe in painting for preservation, but I never get fancy about it. If its rusty, I sand and paint it, if I happen to have matching paint on hand, so be it, if not, any paint is better than rust.
The 430 that was next door here was mostly all original, he painted the deck every year but with what ever yellow paint he found cheap. He would flip the deck up against the garage, hose it off, wire brush off the bad parts and make it yellow. Myself, I like spray on bed liner under the deck, after a good sandblasting, but only if I'm forced to completely rebuild a deck. I'd never likely pull one from use just to paint it. My one Cub Cadet has a 5" hole in the deck, it'll stay that way till I feel I've got something else here to take its place while I clean and weld the deck. When its done, its getting bed liner underneath, and what ever white paint I've got on top. If its too far gone, it gets tossed in the scrap pile.
I never really looked at the larger Garden Tractors as mowers, most are too big for small yards and too slow for big yards. They make better snow plows, wagon haulers and ground working machines. If I had to mow more than an acre, I'd buy a fast zero turn. I've only got a 1/2 acre here, I've pushed mowed it more than anything most of the time. If I have a tractor here that cuts, it gets used but I usually sell off the decks rather than let them rust away out back.

The neighbors surviving son lives out of state, he hired an attorney from where ever he was from, the attorney hired an appraiser from out of state, who put dollar amounts on everything. They had a walk through estate sale, not an auction. Everything was priced, what sold went for cash on the spot, what didn't sell got packed up and shipped to various auction houses. Most of the hardwood furniture went to one guy, who also bought the 430 and most of the other power equipment. The appliances were sold the day of the walk through sale, and most of the collectibles were boxed up and shipped out as well. When I saw how it was all going down I lost a lot of interest but still would have liked to have the old guy's tractor. (I offered to buy his truck, a 14,000 mile 1992 F150, but it went for more than he paid for it brand new).

I can't blame them for not just dumping everything with an auctioneer on site, I've been to a few of those sales and nothing brings anywhere close to what its worth. I bought my Cub Cadet 2072 for $35 at an estate sale and I drove it on the trailer at the sale. I bought a turn key Allis Chalmers 916 for $16 this afternoon at a small town auction. I didn't need it but for $16, I sort of had to. It drove onto the trailer, I cut my grass with it when I got home. I suppose some old guy is turning over in his grave knowing that his AC 916 got sold to the only guy in the crowd who showed up with a trailer for $16. On the other hand, things like paintings, furniture, and stereo equipment were what was attracting all the attention. I watched one guy bid an old cash register up to over a grand yet a three bank Snap On tool box full of tools sold for $450.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts