My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi,
Thought that I'd give an update on the leaking hose under the cowl. Well, there is nothing to update. Since I went and located the leak for him nearly 2 weeks ago he hasn't called me to come help him replace it. When he does, I will let you know how it went.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hi,

This tractor still hasn't been fixed. The owner has been very sick for some time and slowly recovering. He isn't married and has no children to help him. No hired hands either. I myself haven't even seen the 4255 since late August. So, I want to in my spare time try and make some time to go over and fix it for him. I was waiting for him to call, but he hasn't. His whole farming operation has came to a halt. I have a full time job and it is not to easy to get over there and fix this hose.

So.....When I at first removed the cowl and found the leak, the only access to the hose that I could see was up where the differential lock pedal is. My question is, is there an easier way to get to the mentioned hose under the cowl? Four hoses are there. Three have 90 degree elbows and the fourth one that I need to remove is straight on. As I stand by the steps, a fuse panel stares me in the eye. Is there a way to remove this and whatever else is in the way to get to the hose so I can get this thing repaired? Has anyone here tore into this area that I am speaking? I can remove things, but if there is an easier way that you have removed this area mentioned I would appreciate your expertise! I don't want to tear something apart here that isn't necessary.

Thankyou, Thankyou

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
boneidaho
I don't know the answer to your question. I'll send you a PM with contact info on a former JD technician that might be able to answer your question.
Jim

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
We just took the cowling off over the dash panel and replaced the bleed of hose to the steering
Hose goes back into the transmission case
Pretty simple fix.
Hoses seem to have rot issues

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I removed the cowl 7 weeks ago and saw that it will be a tight fit for my body to lay on the floor sideways and reach in there to remove and replace this hose. I haven't seen this 4255 for 7 weeks. My plan is to go out there next weekend and replace the hose. Seven weeks ago while looking in there, I could feel and see chaffing on the hose in the spot that it is leaking. I couldn't see anything that it has been rubbing on, so I will replace the hose and re-inspect it to see if anything is wearing on it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No real shortcut to access that hose. Tilt wheel full up and with the kick panel removed. you can reach up and get to it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts