My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend has a 1991-4255. RW4255H005575.

This tractor has very low hours. 2781.1 to be exact.

He was out driving it and a stream of oil started running out from under the cowl on both sides. He called me today to come look at it. I removed the cowl (it is ruined now being saturated since the leak was squirting upwards) and the metal plate that the ignition buzzer is attached to so I could see back into that area. Yes I was standing on my head. . The steering valve under there has 4 rubber hoses screwed onto it. Three of them have 90 degree metal elbows, and the 4th hose just runs straight down out of the valve and down through the bottom of the cab. No elbow. This is the worn hose with the hole. I believe the part number is: AR93133.

The way I found it was, steering wheel up and couldn't find leak. I tilted the steering wheel down and Old Faithful went off all over the inside windshield.

I can see that it will be a lot of fun removing the front hoses just to get to the one that I am referring to. BUT!! Where oh where does the other end of the hose go? I couldn't see where it lead to. Does the floor mat and metal floor plate have to be removed to get to the other end? Your expertise is greatly appreciated here!:tango_face_grin:

I took these pictures of it just last week while I was driving through the yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I think that hose attaches to hyd oil return manifold on LH side of trans case. AR93133 is 46.654 IN in length. I sure wish my '91 4255 that I've owned since Feb '93 only had 2781 hrs on speed-hour meter instead of 11,600 hrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim.

I see that you found that under Return oil manifold lines. I found it under Steering rear oil lines. Is this the same one? Meaning, there isn't 2 of this hose on the tractor?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there's only one hose with PN of AR93133 on the tractor

Ok. That's what I thought. I just wanted your final answer.

My thoughts are to get a male nipple on both ends and screw one end onto the old line and the other onto the new line. Then I will pull the old line out while the old line pulls the new line in.

Jim, thanks for your help once again! I appreciate your help more than you may think!:tango_face_smile_bi

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You're very welcome. I hope I'm correct on my thoughts on the hose. Connecting old hose to new hose is a very good idea.
Jim

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
That's an excellent tractor!!!

On my 4255 the 3 pt hitch will remain up for months at a time which is unusual for a tractor with it's amount of hours of use. For many yrs every Fall I pulled a 3 pt 24ft JD 1010 field cultivator on several 100 acres getting soil ready for small grain planting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's an excellent tractor!!!

On my 4255 the 3 pt hitch will remain up for months at a time which is unusual for a tractor with it's amount of hours of use. For many yrs every Fall I pulled a 3 pt 24ft JD 1010 field cultivator on several 100 acres getting soil ready for small grain planting.

This is just one of his "55's". Two 1992-4455's an this 1991-4255. All 3 of them don't have 3000 hours on them yet. The 3-point is down because the lever was down when I took these pictures. He has never used the 3-point and the place we got it had a 158 loader on it that just puttered around their farm with it. No manure usage. Wish it still had the 158 on it. The only thing that upset me with buying it is that before he sent it to us, he swapped out the drawbar for a well used one. The tractor is in very nice shape, but it was a dirty thing he did in swapping that out.

Your 3-pt., 24' cultivator is a big cultivator. How deep do you pull it? Duck feet sweeps or points?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really clean JD, why was it for sale in 2013?

I had looked for a long time for either a 4455, or a 4255 for him. Don't know why they sold it. Would have preferred another P.S. though. But the Quad is a nice transmission to.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree dirty deal on the drawbar. I am guessing you had it shipped, so did not see the swap until it was delivered.

I know a guy, that the drawbar hole is the first thing he looks at, to see how hard the tractor was worked.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I agree dirty deal on the drawbar. I am guessing you had it shipped, so did not see the swap until it was delivered.

I know a guy, that the drawbar hole is the first thing he looks at, to see how hard the tractor was worked.
You are right. One of the first things to look at. But, the rest of the tractor checked out as original. It wasn't the owner who swapped it out. It was the guy that sold it for him. I still have the original brochure for the 4055, 4255, and 4455 series tractors that is dated on the back of it 1991. Most of the tractors in it are 4255's and they all have this same Good year Dyna torque radial rear tire as this one has. You can tell that these tires have 2800 hours on them. Many other wear points check out as ok. It is a very tight tractor.

Then to top it all off, about a year ago, someone pulled into his yard after dark and stole all 14 front weights off of it with the 2 long bolts and special nuts. I have been praying that who ever did this that their legs grow together!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The field cult had 9'' sweeps but I only pulled it deep enough to cover small grain seed that had been spread. I had axle mount dual wheels for added stability when turning sharp corners. I stopped plowing several yrs back due to my increasing lose of body control due to my nerve damage. My 4255 drawbar has pulled a JD 310 disk harrow & rd hay baler over many 1000 acres & exhibits very little wear last time I looked at it. I now keep it attached to rd baler all the time.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You are right. One of the first things to look at. But, the rest of the tractor checked out as original. It wasn't the owner who swapped it out. It was the guy that sold it for him. I still have the original brochure for the 4055, 4255, and 4455 series tractors that is dated on the back of it 1991. Most of the tractors in it are 4255's and they all have this same Good year Dyna torque radial rear tire as this one has. You can tell that these tires have 2800 hours on them. Many other wear points check out as ok. It is a very tight tractor.

Then to top it all off, about a year ago, someone pulled into his yard after dark and stole all 14 front weights off of it with the 2 long bolts and special nuts. I have been praying that who ever did this that their legs grow together!
He was robbed twice:tango_face_sad::tango_face_sad: I HATE thieves. My Dad had a 100HP outboard motor stolen off his boat. The had bolt cutters and cut every thing the hooked up to it. Wires, hoses, cables. The did a lot of damage to get in and out fast. My Mom had the out side A/C unit stolen from her house. Those thieves also cut everything, Freon lines, even the wiring while "hot", they were not smart enough to pull the outside disconnect. Too bad they did not electrocute themselves :tango_face_devil:
Probably "druggies", that sold it as scrap. They did more damage than they "reaped"

When I bought my JD 2030, on the dealer's lot it was missing the top link, drawbar, and the extendable ends of the lower three point draft arms. Salesman said no worries, those parts are in the shop. The "scrapper" thieves steal anything metal they can easily grab. And this was 25 years ago. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The field cult had 9'' sweeps but I only pulled it deep enough to cover small grain seed that had been spread. I had axle mount dual wheels for added stability when turning sharp corners. I stopped plowing several yrs back due to my increasing lose of body control due to my nerve damage. My 4255 drawbar has pulled a JD 310 disk harrow & rd hay baler over many 1000 acres & exhibits very little wear last time I looked at it. I now keep it attached to rd baler all the time.

I feel for you about the nerve damage. I hurt my neck in 1992 and had it fuzed in 2008. That fixed it better than it was, but I still deal with nerve pain from my neck down my left arm to the palm of my hand. Hope your quality of life is well though. I do pretty good.

Sounds like you have enjoyed your 4255 very well. 11,600 hours and still doing the job. You have used it for many applications. Very reliable. I just really enjoy these Generation ll tractors a lot. Especially the "55" series. In 1979 I was able to operate a brand new 8640. The owner had 5-8640's, 30.1X32 dual'd up, all bare Backs, all with 12' Degelman dozer's. He kept all 5 of us driving them side by side in the same field's. I remember that one field that we were in that I made 8 rounds around in that field in one 10 hour work day. Minus lunch break. Five-30' John Deere disk's, Five-40' John Deere rodweeders, 3 sets- John Deere surflex plows. That was a hoot! He was in a John Deere ad in "The Furrow" in January 1980 and Deere was advertising the 8640. It still have that issue. I saw it just lastnight. I may have to scan a picture of that ad and post it here. He farmed 17,000 acres. No typo! From there I went and drove 2-8430's in steeper hills. Some hills were so steep that driving a 8640, or 8430 was a blast to drive them sideways on these steep hills, The entire tractor would just start sliding sideways down the hill with implement in tow. I'd just turn the tractor up the hill to reaquire my place. Those 8430's and 8640's were so much fun to drive in these steep hills around here. I used to take family and friends with me and wouldn't tell them what was about to happen and when the tractor would start sliding sideways across these hills, they would always panic. I thought that I was pretty funny. Sometimes, well a lot of times I would take 8430 and 8640 and "4" dig climbing, differential lock engaged, and up the hill I went with a 30 foot disk in tow. Yes. It was so steep that I had to raise the disk.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He was robbed twice:tango_face_sad::tango_face_sad: I HATE thieves. My Dad had a 100HP outboard motor stolen off his boat. The had bolt cutters and cut every thing the hooked up to it. Wires, hoses, cables. The did a lot of damage to get in and out fast. My Mom had the out side A/C unit stolen from her house. Those thieves also cut everything, Freon lines, even the wiring while "hot", they were not smart enough to pull the outside disconnect. Too bad they did not electrocute themselves :tango_face_devil:
Probably "druggies", that sold it as scrap. They did more damage than they "reaped"

When I bought my JD 2030, on the dealer's lot it was missing the top link, drawbar, and the extendable ends of the lower three point draft arms. Salesman said no worries, those parts are in the shop. The "scrapper" thieves steal anything metal they can easily grab. And this was 25 years ago. :tango_face_surprise

Yeah, there are a lot of thieves out there. Nice that the dealer had the good sense to remove the easy detatchables and store them until he sold the 2030 to your dad!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts