My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to drain the transmission fluid, and change the filter on my JD 425.
The problem is that the drain plug acts like it is welded shut, I have tried every wrench I have and have succeded in rounding off the nut head. I think I am going to have to use a pair of vise grips. This may sound like a stupid question, but the drain plug does come off counterclockwise doesn't it?

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
:fing20: Oh man that makes for a bad day for sure, I don't know for sure Hoosier, I would think it does too. Good luck, if you got any PB blaster around that stuff works well on stuck bolts and such, barring that at least some WD-40, might let it soak overnight to help penetrate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help Jim. Do you think just removing the filter will drain enough transmission fluid to do almost the same as draining it from the drain plug? just a thought.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Hoosier,

No! The filter does not get to the level you need. I can't imagine the drain plug that tight where you are rounding the corners off. Something is wrong. Maybe you need help from your dealer here . . .

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Hoosier,

No! The filter does not get to the level you need. I can't imagine the drain plug that tight where you are rounding the corners off. Something is wrong. Maybe you need help from your dealer here . . .
:ditto: :ditto:
Snap a closeup picture of your drain nut...
Is this machine originally yours or is it previously owned??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts