My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after setting for more then 2 days my 425 does not want to start, I think its flooding out but not sure. When it finally does start I have to leave the throttle alone for about a min or so. once its been running I still can not use full throttle for about 10 min. After a while it will run like normal and does not matter the throttle position. If I start it everyday it seems fine. Is there something wrong with my carb? It had new carb kit and plugs this spring. I run 87 octane gas with stabil fuel treatment. Guys have any ideas this is getting annoying. Thanks guys.:praying:

·
Registered
7 Posts
since you are taking care of the fuel breakdown with additive, i would check you air cleaner, fuel filter and maybe spray some carb cleaner into the carb. after that i would check more into you fuel dilivery system. Im sure others will have some good ideas.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Does the 425 have a fuel strainer at the bottom of their tank like a 400 does?

My 400 is a little rough to start like yours after sitting a few days and will run rich, surge, and sometime quit until I either run some seafoam through it or let it run for a long time at idle. I am thinking maybe the strainer needs cleaning since mine doesn't have a fuel filter on it, but I haven't had time to get at it. Otherwise I would change the fuel filter and see what happens.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: John deere 425 won't start!

Ok I mowed the lawn today parked the tractor and washed it with a garden hose and let it dry. Got back on it about a hour later and it did the same thing all over again. Forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filter this spring also and the air filter gauge/meter reads fine. After I let of the starter it pops and a little black smoke comes out which I think might be gas. Then when it finally starts it smokes some black smoke not heavy, just some and its skipping. Then it stops smoking and sputtering or skipping I guess, and it will idol fine. As soon as I start giving it throttle it starts sputtering and skipping with that light blackish smoke. I go back to idol and it cleared out. Let it idol for a while and I gave it 1/4 throttle and drove off. I gave it 3/4 to 1/2 throttle and it started doing it again. So I backed off to 1/4 throttle and it drove and sounded fine. After driving it for a min or so it took full throttle and ran perfect again. It sputtered some and I went back to 1/2 throttle for a few seconds then back to full throttle. Then I could give it idol to full throttle for the rest of the time I used the tractor and had no problems. It mowed and ran normal.

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Sounds like a dirty needle and seat or stuck float. I would take off the float bowl. Clean the needle and seat, check the float level and make sure the float moves freely on the pin. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts