My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would a John Deere 425 with a blown transmission and is in fair condition worth Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
11,472 Posts
First of all
to MTF the price is relative and has a lot to do if you are buying or selling ...it is a Tuff Torq k91...
so if you can find a tractor with a good rear and blown engine it is an easy swap....are you selling or buying....if buying...is it just the tractor and no attachments?...if that is the case and it has good tires and battery...and not a zillion hours on the meter...I don't think it is worth more than 5 or 6 hundred dollars...but that is my opinion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am buying, it has no attachments except for the deck. The engine seems to be in alright condition. Can the k91 be rebuilt? Thank you

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
depends whats wrong.
it could be something as simple as a sheared shaft... or as complex as mangled gear-set with chunks that got into everything, ruining it all. If it's the case, and it's split/cracked in half - that's pretty well a write-off.
In general - yes it can be rebuilt.... but "at what cost"?... depends on what's broken and needs replacement....

But there are many tractors out there with the transmission in good shape, and everything else trashed.
Put it this way: if you get this tractor for $750.... and spend $1500 on a used / working K91, then you will have yourself a heavy duty GT, for $2250 - which is not bad at all.

Whats wrong with the transmission in that 425?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a K-91 out of a 97 425 I salvaged when the tractor was parted out. It has a little over 1200 hours on it. Where are you located?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Northern Michigan, about 10-12 hours from you if I remember my trips to Cincinnati in the 70s. If you are interested in it and can figure how to get to your place after the lock down I have no need for it.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,627 Posts
Fastenal guys, check for locations nearest to each of you.

·
Super Moderator
11,472 Posts
I am having Uship bring a tractor from up near Niagara Falls to me ...about 400 miles...about 550 bucks with all fees..fastenal wanted it strapped to a pallet and was a lot more money

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Northern Michigan, about 10-12 hours from you if I remember my trips to Cincinnati in the 70s. If you are interested in it and can figure how to get to your place after the lock down I have no need for it.
I will let you know if I get it Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do you want for it

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have no idea what they are worth, make me an offer. Tires are included though they are 1997 vintage.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Not sure if these guys could line something up or not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no idea what they are worth, make me an offer. Tires are included though they are 1997 vintage.
It turns out the mower does not need a transmission at this moment but I was wondering if you had a gauge cluster for a 425

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do, though I am not sure I want to part with it as it is the same unit my 445 has in it, and it looks a lot better than my unit though a couple hundred hours more on the meter than mine. What is wrong with the original cluster?

·
Registered
501 Posts
If I remember right, someone on one of the John Deere WEB sites made a new glass for their 4x5 series tractor instrument cluster, I would see what you could find. JD does sell that piece as usual for an excessive price of $182.00. If the glass pieces can be removed, you might be able to use the pieces for a pattern and some light weight plexiglass would probably work. I know the glass repair shops around here sell small pieces of plexiglass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts